Hi there,

This is very early planning. We have recently bought our 'forever house' a Victorian terrace that needs complete refurbishment, including the garden. We'd like to have some chickens in the garden.

Having bought a book and scoured these forums, I think our best setup might be a covered, paved walk in run with aubiose or similar and a Go Up. The garden is quite small so I think the run size would likely be 6' by 9'.

Does this sound like a sensible set-up? 

I had been thinking that we would get 3 hybrids. But wonder whether they'd be cramped, given they will likely have limited free ranging. Would we be better to investigate bantams?

Many thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum and the addictive world of chicken keeping. Congrats on the house too 😀 

If i were you I would definitely go for bantams - I’d totally agree with your set up plans (although if you can afford it a second hand mark 1 Cube is better than a Go Up) - but if the girls will be mostly in their run that will be too cramped really for 3 hybrids.

Thanks for the reply mullethunter!

Yes, I was wondering that. We work full time so free ranging time would be pretty limited.

Thanks for advice on the cube.

Once we get the landscaper around, we might be able to fit in a bigger run, so let's see!

Are bantams easy to come by?

Yes, go for bantams.  They are quite easy to come by.  I have had Polish bantams which never go broody and lay a good size egg every day between March and end of September.  I’m down to my last one now who is nearly 11.  She laid till she was 8 or 9.   I’ve now got millefleur Barbu D’ucles which have a tendency to go broody at the drop of a hat which is a nuisance.   So research your breed. 

And definitely try to get a second hand mk1 cube.  It’s bigger and sturdier than the new versions.