S & S

Hatching in Eglu go

Hi, 

its so long since I posted on here, I can’t remember if this is my first post or not lol.

i have a little bantam who wa broody so bought some fertilised eggs to put under her, hatch date is this saturday.

I read on here that a few people had hatched in Eglu s with no problems. I have an Eglu go so if you remove the bars the nest box doesn’t really exist, so I have cut some Lino and placed rubber non slip Matt on top so that the chicks won’t fall through the bars. I placed this on top of the bars at night, next morning lifted her off for breakfst but when she went to go back in she was very upset by the change of flooring and wouldn’t go back in,  I tried to encourage her but didn’t work, I was worried she would not go back in so took it out again and peace was restored. I’m now not sure what to do, i may just try and fill the tray up with bedding so there are no gaps but not sure how easy this will be, any ideas ?..  thank you

I think probably all you can do is what you suggest - put in so much bedding (I use easichick) that it totally fills the tray above the bars and covers the bars and nest box. That’s what I did when I had youngsters in there but I only had them in there once they were off heat (they did start off in there under a broody but ended up in an incubator / brooder indoors because she ate the first one that hatched 😳)

Thanks so much for your reply, I think that is what I will have to do. Do you know if that will be ok, I read that the chicks may try and eat the bedding ?  Sorry your broody ate one, that must have been awful. I am thinking about getting an incubator on standby 🙈 

I've used the Go with a broody and took the roosting bars out, you can get shallow tub trugs that fit the nesting box which worked well for her brooding but was a little too tall for chicks to get back into once hatched.

Good luck!

Well I can see 3 babies 😀 can’t see any more though 😕 she hasn’t been off the nest since Friday morning I’ve been giving her some soaked chick crumb which I’ve seen her ear a bit of. Do you think I should lift her off to see if the other 3 eggs are hatching or shall I just leave her? Concerned she’s not had much to eat or drink since Friday morning.thanks for your help 😀

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for your replies, we have 6 out  of 6 babies 😀 she was still sitting this morning so I gently pushed her off, 😳 once she was up there was no stopping her 😀 they’ve been out today eating and drinking, all gone back to bed now 😀