nannyhenny

Damaged, thin feathers

One of my hens has developed strange damage to her feathers, especially her flight and tail feathers. The barbs have largely gone missing, leaving the main shafts intact. They look rather like a bundle of sticks! Her breast and neck feathers are fine. She isn’t over preening or scratching, there are no feathers in the run or coop and no sign of mites. None of the other hens have the problem. Can anyone suggest what’s causing this?

I did wonder that but have never seen it happening.I have six, including two very new P.O.Ls. They're semi free range in a large area of the garden. I suppose it could be in the coop at night?.I've upped their protein by adding some sunflower seeds and pulses to their afternoon treat of Marriage's mash (they have Marriage's Layers pellets in their feeder.)

If it's feather pecking, is there anything else I can do or do I just hope it'll stop? She really doesn't seem bothered by it. 

I've kept hens for over ten years but haven't come across this before!

Hmm, that's an odd one - I have only seen that once before - in a RIR I had years ago - the poultry vet said it was malnutrition/nutitional deficiency, and lo and behold, when I watched them, she was being bullied away from the food. I put out extra feed stations and added some Mineral boost powder to their feed and she improved.... slowly. I'd give her some doses of NutriDrops for about 3 days, then add some of the powder to their feed and see how she goes. It doesn't look like a mite/lice issue to me, but have you checked them all?

Dogmother, how do you buy and dose biotin, please? I've just read up on it and realised that the hen also has rather thickended feet, which seems to be a symptom of biotin deficiency, too.

Yes, have checked for mites and lice - and non of the others have signs of it. 

You can buy it from most equine feed stores, and I does with a tablespoonful per 2 litres of pellets, drizzling them with a little cod liver oil first to make it stick. Nettex does one in their equine range, or you can ring Cotswold Chickens (number on website) and ask them to post some out - they'll measure it from their enormous tub. Alternatively, Vit Boost liquid tonic contains it. An emergency dose can be gained by feeding her mashed up hard boiled egg.