Stagsbrae

Maisie off her legs

Hi there, I haven't been on the forum for some time! My husband was cleaning out my Eglu on Thursday and my silkie (aged 4 1/2) Maisie was still in the nesting box (she sleeps there but hasn't laid for over 6 months) so he lifted her into the run and she was a bit unsteady but she ran across to a corn cob and started picking at it. On friday night when I came home from work she was sitting in the run which was quite wet as it was raining, but I couldn't reach her, my husband had to lift the run while I reached in for her.

I brought her inside as she was wet and she seemed not quite right. Yesterday morning she perked up, eating and drinking but off her legs, her claws are contracted. She doesn't seem up nor down, eating normally, drinking and she's pooing normally. I did read on here something about probiotics and I got some activia (best I could get) and she loves yoghurt so that has gone down a treat! Going to get her an appointment at Vet tomorrow. She IS trying to get up but her feet are the problem! If it wasn't for that she would be fine. I'm not expecting good news at the Vet but wondered if anyone on here had any ideas???

If I give her my fingers she can still grip but just can’t straighten them out! As a result, she is off balance and can’t get about. Her heart beat is regular, her respiratory rate is fine too. I only have the two girls and they are the same age, Katie is a cream legbar.

Are they still laying? Sometimes, a forming egg can press on a nerve in their pelvis and send them off their legs; this usually passes when they lay. On the other hand, it could be the slow burn version of Mareks... impossible to tell without seeing her. I would dose her up on nettex NutriDrops and see hew she goes. Either way, I would get her to a poultry vet for a more accurate diagnosis.