Roksteddie

Snapping bumpa bits

I've used bumpa bits in the past and always found that the 25mm ones snapped on application. I gave up in the end and used the 30mm bits and they've always worked a treat. However, i now have some rescue girls who've had the beaks clipped/sliced and so have very short beaks indeed. The 30mm is just too long to allow them to feed properly. I had ordered 25mm from Omlet and all 8 snapped whilst using the pliers. I tried soaking them in boiling water to no avail. Omlet have sent 8 replacements but one has already broken. Are there any other tips/tricks I could use?

I'm afraid that this has always been a problem with the shorter bumpa bits - there just isn't enough leeway in them to open them up sufficiently with the pliers, although I have managed eventually with a lot of patience and 'industrial language'! If they have clipped beaks, then they shouldn't be able to do any flesh damage, but will still grab feathers - have you tried beak rings? They stop the beak from closing enough to get the feathers; you will still have to be vigilant for any flesh wounds though.

Anti-pecking spray sometimes works, although you have to be careful to dose as per instructions as the main ingredient in it can make them drunk and woozy if over-dosed.

s-l1600.jpg

I suspect there is a manufacturing issue with the Bumpa Bits, which won't be resolved until Omlet contact the supplier. They are now breaking for a reason and I can think of two 'cost saving' methods that would cause this problem.

You may have to try the beak bits Rok. Worth also looking at the area the hens are in; is it large enough?

It might be worth isolating the main aggressor to see if that can break the cycle - the others will follow her example. Bung her in a broody cage in the run for a bit.

I am only suggesting beak rings/bits because you say that your birds have had their beaks trimmed. The rings won't stop them from pecking and drawing blood if they have sharp beaks, but they will prevent them from being able to grab feathers and pull them out.

Chickens have relatively simple neural pathways, so pick up and can then lose habits easily; I would look at their environment firstly, try excluding the main bully, and see if you can break the circle on this one.