Happy Pekins

To Eglu or not to Eglu?

Well hello! This is my first topic here, about a debate I really need some advice on.

I am a fairly experienced chicken keeper, with a decent knowledge of chicks. I have kept Pekin Bantams for almost 3 years now, and I'm wanting to branch out into breeding them. I have bred before, but only for 'fun'. I'd like to take this a little more seriously. I would probably be focusing on 1-3 colors, and yes, it would probably be pet quality. Quality pet, but not show quality, if you see my point. It wouldn't be massive - I'd only hatch in spring/early summer, hoping for a few clutches each year. I am not worried about losing eggs, we keep a few full size hens for that. 

I am considering the Eglu Cube. I would begin with 4 hens, plus 1 cock - it would be plenty big. I already have a small cage we currently use for broodies. However, many are telling me things such as:

"I highly recommend a shed, not that eglu thingy. Most sheds need bigger window openings on the leeward side, and upper venting in the end wall peaks, all covered with hardware cloth. And a dig proof foundation, either wire or poured concrete. Much more user friendly!"

"overpriced little box"

"Premade kit coops are generally awful, avoid them! A garden shed, with modifications, works well."

As you can see, I am feeling quite doubtful... I would really appreciate any insights. Please bear in mind that one really big 'Pull' factor is anti-red mites. Also - any other advice on breeding Pekins - or chickens in general - would be much appreciated!

29 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

A Cube would be perfect for housing the flock, but you would need a different coop for the brooding hen as the Cube is off the ground. Some here use a Classic or Go for the sitting hen with the roosting bars taken out.

Thank you, Cat tails. As mentioned earlier, I do have a small coop that I use for broodies. Thank you for sharing your opinion!

If you ask the question on here you’ll get replies from lots of satisfied Eglu owners!   I have 2 classics and 2 Mk 1 cubes.   I started 12 years ago with the classics which are now ‘spare’ accommodation,  Neither cube was brand new.  One reconditioned and the second pre loved.  Both now 12-15 years old, and pristine, apart from the green one which has faded.  How many wooden coops last that long? 

If I were you I would go for a preloved Mk 1 cube.  It’s bigger and made of sturdier looking plastic than the Mk2.  

Plastic isn’t red mite free but it’s a lot easier to deal with them in a cube than a wooden coop! 

The only piece of Omlet kit I don’t recommend is the WIR.  The top half of the run is a large gauge and allows small birds or rats in.  I had to spend another£100 covering it with small gauge weldmesh. 

Edited by Patricia W

2 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

If you ask the question on here you’ll get replies from lots of satisfied Eglu owners!   I have 2 classics and 2 Mk 1 cubes.   I started 12 years ago with the classics which are now ‘spare’ accommodation,  Neither cube was brand new.  One reconditioned and the second pre loved.  Both now 12-15 years old, and pristine, apart from the green one which has faded.  How many wooden coops last that long? 

If I were you I would go for a preloved Mk 1 cube.  It’s bigger and made of sturdier looking plastic than the Mk2.  

The only piece of Omlet kit I don’t recommend is the WIR.  The top half of the run is a la ge gauge and allows small birds or rats in.  I had to spend another£100 covering it with small gauge weldmesh. 

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'm not too worried about small birds, and we've not had rats in ages, but is that the only problem? I'll certainly take your advice!