mullethunter

Hatching dry and a hygrometer

1st egg pipped at 8:30pm yesterday, then made us wait until nearly 2pm today before starting to unzip! Then took an hour to get right around the shell but the membrane was too intact and it couldn’t push the shell halves apart. I whipped it out of the incubator and in about 10 seconds flat severed the membrane and popped it back in the incubator. Another 10 seconds after that and it was fully hatched 🐣 Now snoozing and drying out in the incubator waiting for egg number 2 which pipped around lunchtime today ☺️

EA70B3D2-A66D-4F08-908E-244C8F4E8104.jpeg

• Like 2

Second one is out now too 😀 It waited 21 hours after pipping! I thought it was dead as it had been so still, but took it out of the incubator, tapped it and held it to my ear and heard it cheeping!! I had to go out but OH texted me a couple of hours later to say it was hatching 🐣

So number 2 is now in the incubator snoozing and drying out, while number 1 (who was actually number 5) is currently racketing around with two mates I bought (because I didn’t think the second would hatch) showing them where the food and water are 😍

4D2674AE-86DF-4E62-B75C-5AA4D7F3777A.jpeg

30F04B53-8C20-4463-9BEE-BB5D67236EFB.jpeg

• Like 2

They’re araucana bantams too. Or at least they probably are. The girls I got them from had Cuckoo Araucana bantams in with Suffolk Chequer bantams - she said she’s pretty sure the ones I’ve got are araucana but they may possibly not be! They do have Some little feathers on their legs though, and neither breed should have 🧐

Well - bit of an update 5 months on. The yellow chick was the only female - she’s called Polly and she started laying beautiful little blue eggs last week :dance:

Of the two cuckoo coloured boys (Big Cheep and Small Cheep) i rehomed Big Cheep a couple of months ago, and Small Cheep was with me until today when he went to live with my mums 4 hybrid girls - he’s quite small but somehow after a brief scuffle with the top hen, which I swear he lost, he somehow seems to be immediately in charge 🤷‍♀️

The sort of partridge colour chick (Cheep No. 1) went has also been rehomed - his new owners sent me a photo of him and he now looks magnificent!!

Here are photo’s of Polly, Small Cheep and Cheep No. 1

68E545C2-449B-42F7-8D61-4016345311BB.jpeg

5ACED5CC-7866-4F99-82CA-F02EB3FFFC20.jpeg

30EE7FAF-581F-4F45-A534-D4E3958F6599.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

Knowing my luck I would get all boys and and nowhere to put them.

Out of three hatches I’ve only had 2 pullets so I’m not doing great myself 🤦🏼‍♀️ And I’ve just been lucky with the boys so far. I’d resigned myself to having to cull hem this time which I would’ve hated so I’m delighted to have found them all good homes.