mullethunter

Hatching dry and a hygrometer

Sorry - multiple posts today!!

Ive decided I’m going to run my incubator dry. Lots of people seem to have success with it and as the ambient humidity here seems to be between 50 and 60 it should be OK.

Id like to put a hygrometer in the incubator though so I have some idea of what’s going on. Can anyone recommend a good one for the Brinsea Mini Advance II?

Well whaddayaknow - another question already!!

Remembered I have a digital thermometer that also measures humidity. Have put it in the incubator which I’ll run empty overnight to check all is well. The thermometer  (https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermoPro-Thermo-hygrometer-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Temperature/dp/B07G2YM494/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Thermpro+tp60&qid=1590344394&sr=8-1) is reading 38 degrees when the incubator readout is saying 37.5 or 37.6. Which do I believe? Is it worse to be too hot or too cool?

Set of eggs number one turned out to be infertile. The breeder did warn me the cockerel had a limp 🤣

Set of eggs number two are now on day 5 and it looks like I’ve got 4 out of 6 growing. Pretty happy with that for eBay eggs. Not sure what’s going on with number 4 though 🤔

36F98A49-2CA8-4A1A-B297-64D68166A57B.jpeg

Edited by mullethunter
  • Like 1

Don’t set ANY store by what I do! This is only my second time hatching in an incubator from start to finish. Last time I used eggs that I drive to collect so they didn’t have to come through the post. I kept the water in my Brinsea Mini II Advance topped up as per the instruction manual (I.e. not dry hatching) and out of 7 eggs, 3 hatched and 1 was fully formed but didn’t hatch. I have no idea what the humidity actually was.

This time I’m now on day 13 with 6 eggs from eBay that have come from the post. I chucked two out at day 10 as they were infertile, but I have other problems as they had detached air cells so I’ve had to switch off the Turner, sit them upright in bits of egg box and turn them by hand. This time I’m hatching dry - not adding any water. According to my fancy sensor it’s running at about 25% humidity - I’ll be candling tomorrow and trying to draw on the air cell so will have a good idea then hopefully of what’s happening.

Anyway - sorry that’s a very long answer. From what I’ve read a lot of people say the ideal humidity for chicken eggs is between 40 and 50% (until the last 3 days) so you should be fine. 57% sounds very high for a dry incubator though to me - is it still air? Do I remember right that you’re in Ireland?

People say a lot of different things about humidity and I have got mine down to 54%.  I am in Ireland and live very close to the ocean - less than a mile as the crow flies so wondering if this is why humidity is high.

The incubator manufacturer, Brinsea, say optimum humidity for hens is 50-60% in the instruction manual so I am hoping they can at least get it right!

On 6/8/2020 at 7:38 PM, mullethunter said:

Set of eggs number one turned out to be infertile. The breeder did warn me the cockerel had a limp 🤣

Set of eggs number two are now on day 5 and it looks like I’ve got 4 out of 6 growing. Pretty happy with that for eBay eggs. Not sure what’s going on with number 4 though 🤔

36F98A49-2CA8-4A1A-B297-64D68166A57B.jpeg

Hello MH, do you mind telling me what your candler is as I would like to purchase one...

I have 12 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 12 Cuckoo Barbu D'Anver and 7 Choc Orpington eggs set - approaching day 5 so not yet been candled but I am very excited!

• Thanks 1

Ignore what Brinsea say as they haven't a clue in 'the field'. The egg shell porosity dictates the humidity and published figures are just a UK average.  We have successfully hatched dry here and it's dry anyway.  Our house humidity was around 75%. Check the development of the air sac to be sure and adjust the humidity accordingly. Good luck.

• Like 1

Ooh Danthechickenman lucky you that’s a proper lot of eggs!!! I’ve only got 3 eggs still going at day 16. Not letting myself be excited yet. Will candle once more before I ‘lock down’ on Sunday 🤞🏻

The candler is a Titan high intensity 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titan-Incubators-Intensity-Chicken-Candling/dp/B007YKGBES/ref=pd_lpo_199_img_1/261-2822557-9255439?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B007YKGBES&pd_rd_r=e1b851e4-1152-4dc0-b2f6-1fb9e4f41047&pd_rd_w=jzwW1&pd_rd_wg=Kb0s3&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=FTVBP5TB42BPQ37EN7WB&psc=1&refRID=FTVBP5TB42BPQ37EN7WB