Booger

Lethargic bantam

Hi I have a bantam that is normally very lively and follows me everywhere in the garden, but the last couple of days has been very lethargic. I have put it down to the weather as it has been very hot. This morning though as it’s cooler I thought she might improve,but she’s just lying on her side not really moving. I lost one of her pen mates at the beginning of lockdown with no warning. I have 2 chicks that have been kept separate as hen pecking is an issue. Help please.

The first thing that sprang to mind was that she is maybe going to lay a softie, but as you've said she is on her side that doesn't sound like it is.

Sadly I lost one last year to the heat.

Do you have any Nutridrops that you could give her to perk her up ?

Do you know how old she is ?

6 minutes ago, Booger said:

She is around 4 years old, her breathing is now laboured and I don’t think she will still be with us tomorrow.

If that’s your feeling, it would be kindest to bring her to a vet, rather than letting her suffer.

• Like 1

Hi thanks for the advice and previous bantam had no symptoms and the next day she was dead. I had a health check with Bubbles (lethargic bantam) from the vet when she was behaving oddly just after previous death, clean bill of health. I gave them all Flubenvet after visit to vets. They are fed on layers pellets have been for the time I have had them ( 4 years plus). 
Unfortunately Bubbles died today before I could get her to the vet, a sad day.

Thanks for helping, I am now watching my original bantam Blossom like a hawk. I suspect the other 2 it could have just been their time to go.

Yes just Blossom of the older birds but I managed to get 2, 7 week old chicks a few weeks back. She has always been my brooder so she has been mothering them. I don’t think she will be lonely thankfully. Thanks for the help. X

Some of these problems are bred in Booger, because the breeders didn't wait to take out the inherent breed problems; they just went for a fast profit. Breeding shouldn't take place until the hens are at least 3 years old and the cock 2 years old. If they don't get that far the breed is a failure and should be abandoned. We've bred from hens 6 years old with great success and I hope their offspring go further. Hens should get to at least 10 years, cocks 5, any less is a result of bad breeding.