helenp

Fencing

Hi,

We have just completed at last on our new home :D:D that has 3 acres of land, the majority is a paddock, that needs fencing. As we have 3 doggies we need to get it fenced as soon as possible as I do not want my beloved husky to run off. So my question is what is the best kind of fencing to have as I have 2 companies coming to quote tomorrow & I do not want to be ripped off, by having no idea what I need. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Ye Gods dont talk to me about fencing- we just bought ours up to standard and we own 40 acres so very expensive!

I would go for normal post and rail in treated chestnut 4ft high with stock fencing (the stuff thats like a roll of wire squares) to stop the dogs escaping. Gates and gateposts really add to the cost so plan any gates carefully, let me look through my paperwork and find out how much we paid per yard.

Thanks everyone, we went & got the keys earlier & walked over the paddock & are deciding what to fence etc.. we have a huge oak tree & that has an owl box on the trunk.. It is amazing to think it is mine (well if i forget the mortage) Going to hang piccies & get curtains etc in the morning!!! Just want to move in, but we have to get the fencing done first

Definately Post and Rail with wire.

It's going to be fairly expensive - fencing materials are stabilising but the last year has seen a huge increase in fencing prices.

Don't let these fencing blokes give you any nonsense - if they are good at what they do expect to have to wait a few weeks before they can do it .

The fencing guy I sub-contract our work out to is currently on 3-4 weeks.

Helen

We have post and rail with stock netting (the sheep one as it has smaller squares at the bottom to stop lambs escaping) and metal gates with an easy to use catch as well as the sliding one you have to pull.

We use the lad from the next farm and pay on an hourly basis - but he always works hard so we don't worry about being ripped off. Our last lot has been waiting all summer, we have to wait for all the harvest to be in and then he has contract ploughing to do.

We opened an account at the local timber merchants, so when he needs fencing, he puts it all on there - and we get the delivery notes so we can check it all.(and we get the bills as well, unfortunately :? )

If you think you may have lambs or piglets then you need to start with the right gates - they have wire mesh across so that small animals can't wriggle through.

Hi,

We have had a quote of £5,000 which totally knocked me of my perch!!! I knew it would be expensive but not that much!!! We are waiting on a new quote to come in, fingers crossed it will be cheaper... We need it to be done as it is stopping us move, please don't mention piglets as I am veggie all would stay with me & live happily ever after!!!

Just had another quote of £11,000 :shock: so I have booked the £5,000 guys!! They have said that they can start in a week, so I can move soon :D The reason I came a veggie was I hate the killing process, and I don't ever want to go back to eating meat, I feel healthier, my skin and hair are better than ever. No all animals that come to live with me will stay for ever.. Just need a new name now for the house

Our house is calld Merimore or something like that, doesn't really fit with me & the 3 doggies, the 2 cats, the hens, the bunny & the hamsters!!! I did like " Muddy duck cottage", but we don't have ducks & OH won't let me have any!!! :D Any suggestions on a new name would be great