Hayleybug

Serama egg bound after being broody

Firstly- we are going to the vet at lunchtime anyway (and did the last time this happened) so i'm sure they will sort her out, but since i got her, she has gone into this cycle twice. both times she has been broody, so of course stopped laying- i've then broken the broodiness by shutting them out of the nestbox and encouraging her to wander around with the others and she snaps out of it pretty quickly (both times 3 days). then, she has gone a couple of days without laying and suddenly gone all floppy/eyes shut etc etc with full crop. i expect this time is the same, as last time she then popped out a VERY round egg which was obviously the issue. 

my question really is- has anyone else had a similar issue with a chook? i'm not sure how the cycle gets stopped unless the vet decides they can give her that thing to stop her laying (is it an implant? not sure but i've heard about it).

sadly she had to be put to sleep :( they couldn't get the egg to come out as her oviduct appeared to have twisted, so would have needed surgery, lots of recovery and then the implant which isn't always fully effective so could have caused her to lay again (and have another egg stuck again) in the future. so we had to let her go. I miss her already and she wasn't even here very long but such a lovely little chook.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

☹️

Sad to hear, but I think you made the right choice. 

thanks Cat tails, i think so too- at least she had a lovely last day in the garden helping me gardening and pottering about with the other two until she felt unwell. she had quite a lot of fun in a short lifetime so that's comforting i think.