Tom and Ali

Feather plucking hens

Good evening everyone, my wife and I would like to introduce you to our flock of 3 (we also have 2 ducks in a separate pen). Sorry for the epic post but please help. In the spring, 2 of our hens got scaley leg mite we treated it and it seems to of cleared up. However the same two have now got bald patches on their bellies, bottoms, necks front and back. From what we’ve observed the third hen does seem to be plucking at them rather than it being self inflicting. So far we have tried anti peck spray which does work but it is expensive for what you get. We’ve got a huge bag of mite powder from our pellet supplier. It does seem to deter any feather pecking but I should add we have checked and checked for mites and they definitely haven’t got them also only two of the hens are affected. So it’s definitely a behavioural problem. Most recently we’ve added small amounts of tinned mackerel to the feed for the protein which they seem to love. Finally the two hens who are suffering from the bald patches are also both trying to lay but never do which makes me wonder if are they getting bullied for the reason they sit so long. Our hens are housed in an Eglu    GoUp I’m sorry for the lack of pictures my phone wouldn’t upload them but I’m sure everyone knows what a bare chickens bum looks like!!!! 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

I'm sorry to hear this - feather pulling doesn't signify a lack of protein - urban myth ;) 

Have a look at these videos for some help Clicky  and Clicky  they have relatively simple neural pathways and they easily pick up habits and it's not difficult to unlearn them either.

Dogmother I love your work. (That also made a change to endless YouTube  fishing videos) can I ask 2 questions. 
1) the lady mentioned about straw bales in the pen we’ve always been warned off having these because of the dangers of mites or were we misinformed? 
2) we also read somewhere that when you’ve fitted the beak bit after a couple of weeks you need to put a bigger one in. Because otherwise they will grow into the birds beak or again have we been misinformed?

Hello

I don't use straw bales, but they are useful in larger pens to provide them with something to do; I would spray regularly with Nettex Total Mite Kill spray (pink one) though to keep any mites down.

No need for a bigger bumpa bit. I would take it off after 3-4 weeks and see if the habit has broken, and be prepared to re-fit it for a while longer if necessary.

Thank you - I made those videos quite a while ago now!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Dogmother said:

Hello

I don't use straw bales, but they are useful in larger pens to provide them with something to do; I would spray regularly with Nettex Total Mite Kill spray (pink one) though to keep any mites down.

No need for a bigger bumpa bit. I would take it off after 3-4 weeks and see if the habit has broken, and be prepared to re-fit it for a while longer if necessary.

Thank you - I made those videos quite a while ago now!

Hi Dogmother that is quite amusing. I wasn’t sure if I had correctly posted my response to you. Then it occurred to me “well at the end of the video it does leave a name and contact details of their farm etc the lady comes across as being very approachable I’ll just drop them a email/give them a call”. Little realising I was talking to lady in question 😂🤭😂.

I think for now we might forgo the straw bales. We let our hens out daily to the main garden to have a scratch and access to fresh grass plus I’m working from home so it’s relatively easy to do. But the CD idea is definitely possible, we do already hang some veg etc. On the bank holiday weekend we do plan to swap the chickens and ducks over to each other’s pens. By chance the ducks ended up with the bigger pen but most of the time they just lie about or bathe and now there’s only 2 of them it does make sense for them to be in a smaller pen.

it is also interesting one of the bullied hens (who also suffered with the scaley leg mite) was quite the top hen however (again in the spring) she entered the ministry of funny walks (walking backwards sideways then looking a bit confused afterwards) so little wonder she fell down the pecking order. 

Thank you very much for all your help we will order some bumper bits from you as thanks. So when you do an order to Felixstowe hopefully in the not to distant future you’ll know it’s for us 😉🐔👍

staysafe and all that and thanks once again. Tom and Ali