Luvachicken

My girls have moved indoors for the night.

Storm Bella is due to arrive around 7pm tonight so my girls have moved indoors for the night.

We have a massive pine tree in next door's garden that would totally crush my chicken run if were to come down.

It has never come down before but it was damaged when some gypsies came to remove some ivy from the trunk.

The council said it had about 5 years to live and that was 4 years ago.

The storm is meant to be at it's worst at 2am but at least my girls will be safe and sound

1 minute ago, Luvachicken said:

Storm Bella is due to arrive around 7pm tonight so my girls have moved indoors for the night.

We have a massive pine tree in next door's garden that would totally crush my chicken run if were to come down.

It has never come down before but it was damaged when some gypsies came to remove some ivy from the trunk.

The council said it had about 5 years to live and that was 4 years ago.

The storm is meant to be at it's worst at 2am but at least my girls will be safe and sound

Oh gosh! Hope the tree will survive another storm! Good call on your chickens though.

Bella is due tomorrow over here. But at least it will be light and I don’t have a massive pine tree.

The trees around us have always frightened me ever since we moved here 22 years ago.

We used to have 3 massive pine trees to the left and 2 pine trees, 2 oak trees and a massive beech tree to the right.

The noise from them when it is windy is quite tremendous.

Last year, one of the pine trees to the right had a huge branch that somehow spun over itself and dangled there, like a wobbly tooth.

It finally snapped off when storm Dennis came along.

I do love trees but when you only have small gardens I don't like them quite so much.

I know the trees were here first. They shouldn't build houses so close to them though. 

2 hours ago, mullethunter said:

That is scary but I’m quite jealous of you having your girls indoors.

They are in the dining room in our old dog cage that we used to have for Daisy (our once elderly cocker spaniel)

I only have 2 girls and they don't take up much space and they will be back outside tomorrow.

This is where I really wish I had a utility room to put them in.

It was really sweet hearing them chatter together instead of going to sleep, although they are fast asleep now.

2 hours ago, mullethunter said:

Actually I think I’d better check the bungees on the tarpaulin - the wind’s ramping up out there.

I hope everything is OK for you and them xx

Always reassuring to hear I’m not the only one with a chicken indoors 😅.  At least you should get a good nights sleep luvachicken knowing your girls are tucked up all cosy and safe in your dining room.

Hope no one suffers too much damage from the storm 

Somehow everything at my house was where I left it despite me being awake until about 3 in the morning convinced our roof was going to blow off.

At my mums though the three story scaffold tower we built to hold up the mesh roof and wrapped in tarpaulin to double as a shelter had blown over. Luckily as it was night time the chooks were in their house on the other side of their enclosure and no damage was done.

On 12/27/2020 at 1:04 PM, Cat tails said:

Did the pine tree survive Bella?

Yes, it did.

In fact there was not much mess in my garden at all - usually there are twigs and pine cones all over the place.

It was extremely noisy and I did keep waking up to think if it had stopped yet in the quieter bits.

But all was safe and well and the girls were very pleased to be back in their run in the morning.

• Like 1