Beaudyne

Appenzeller chickensšŸ“

1 hour ago, Beaudyne said:

@Patricia WĀ I completely agree! Would love some cockerels but atm havenā€™t got adequate housing to keep them separate x

I think Patricia meant to ask: what are you going to do if you hatch cockerels? (Which you most likely will)

Wouldnā€™t it be better to source a breeder and get sexed birds?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beaudyne said:

@Cat tailsĀ oh I see! Well if I end up hatching just a couple boys Iā€™ll keep them and ask my husband nicely to build them a lovely home šŸ˜…

otherwise Iā€™d have to sell/give them away if I get too many. Already have some friends or are looking.Ā 

If you donā€™t have homes lined up, you might find it very difficult to find them.Ā 
To keep more than one cockerel is quite hard in a backyard set up. Even in separate housing.

14 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

If you donā€™t have homes lined up, you might find it very difficult to find them.Ā 
To keep more than one cockerel is quite hard in a backyard set up. Even in separate housing.

If I remember from a beautiful photo @BeaudyneĀ posted a while ago, she has much more than a backyard.

I would love to live somewhere like that..... then I could have my old Pekins, some new ones and room for some rescues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@LuvachickenĀ Thank you!! šŸ„° I am very lucky to have the space here. Itā€™s actually my grandfatherā€™s house thatĀ me and my husband moved in in 2019 to take care of him.Ā 
Heā€™s just as chicken mad as me, as he used to have a good size flock when he was in his 30ā€™s!

I already have some friends who are looking for cockerels and even if I didnā€™t Iā€™m sure thereā€™d be people on here whoā€™d happily take inĀ a beautiful Appenzeller cockerel šŸ˜…

Hi so if you still want to know where you can find some hatching eggs, eBay is a great place. Make sure you clean the eggs when you get them with egg cleaner, and that should all be okay for you.Ā 
here is a link to an eBay seller who sells the hatching eggs you are looking for, you probably wonā€™t find any hatching eggs cheaper then this šŸ‘šŸ»
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Appenzeller-Spitzhauben-hatching-eggs/313381493119?hash=item48f6fe197f:g:9c0AAOSwh-Rf6yq8

Beaudyne, if you are going to plan toĀ keep the cockerels doĀ remember the recommended ratio is 1:10. Or some say 1:12. Ā Any fewer, and you run the risk of the males damagingĀ the hens by too frequent matings and fighting together. Ā  So, you need plan b - which mightĀ be rehoming surplus boys, ( and that is not easy,) or you may have to be prepared for plan c - to cull them when they mature. Ā  Ā Of course, you may be lucky and have all girls, but best be prepared. Ā  Keep us posted.Ā 

@Patricia WĀ not necessarily, I have a rooster and I have 4 hens, my rooster is perfectly fine and people I have spoken say the same thing, you donā€™t know unless you try ā˜ŗļø And of course culling isnā€™t the best idea.Ā Also I recommend, if you do get a rooster, put it on Preloved.com or Pets4homes, because lots of people buy roosters, surprisingly! Also if you know someone local who sells chickens you can offer your rooster because they are always looking for more roostersĀ to breed with.Ā 

The best place to rehome roosters is on dedicated Cockerel rehoming sites. Ā Sadly, pets4homes and similar are where people who want a cheap meal or for cock fighting pick them up. Ā  The organisations I would recommend from personal experi nice are HPG Cockerel Rehome and Red Rooster Rescue. Ā They have FB Pages. Ā  BHWT and Fresh Start For Hens will also help. Ā 

This year in particular there has been a glut of beautiful boys looking for homes. Ā Too many people decided to have a go at hatching because they were locked in. Ā  Now there are boys being abandoned in car parks, town centres and peopleā€™s gardens. Ā  So Iā€™m with Lewis 100%. Ā  Donā€™t hatch unless you can dispatch. Ā Ā