ellasflock

Candling Egg day 17

Hi everyone so I candled the eggs today and I have two silkies fertile eggs, so the shells are quite easy to see through when you candle them. Although when i went to candle them, I noticed they both appear completely different even though they should be developing at the same rate. Could you let me know how many days both seem to be at and if they look alive?!

Silkie Egg 1 is the more Darkened egg, that you cant really see anything inside.(3 images)

Silkie egg 2: is clear to see inside the egg and a darkened figure in the centre. (2 images)

thank you!!

33522DCC-ABC5-491B-9D1A-9B9FB87A7D1E.jpeg

9A43D30A-6BDD-4225-8900-5A5A968D74A1.jpeg

0198DF9D-845C-480E-8B09-6DFD78154A67.jpeg

DFDCEABB-8945-4883-8130-EBBDF0672ADB.jpeg

47585900-F0B7-4BE9-9530-C293F85E92DF.jpeg

Yes I bought a fancy egg candler because I found it really difficult to do with my iPhone and I worried I was going to drop the eggs.

I’ve done this with 3 lots of eggs so am definitely no expert so please don’t take my word as gospel.

But, I’m really sorry, if I had to say (and it’s VERY hard to say from those photos) as far as I can see I’d say the first egg - the dark one - is probably right for 17 days or thereabouts - he chick would be just about filling the egg so you wouldn’t expect to see much. I’m sorry because I think the second one probably hasn’t developed much at all.

Have a Google of what you’d expect to see - there’s plenty of info out there. And maybe message Lewis on here - he’s done this lots and knows loads.

You need to lock down your incubator tomorrow, and if that second egg hasn’t developed it would be best to take it out - the last thing you want is a chick hatching and then breaking an egg that has just been warming up for 3 weeks.

This nearly happened to me (I twice thought that chicks that had internally pipped weren’t going to make it out of their shells alive but then they did) I was able to get a couple of day old chicks locally by asking around on Facebook poultry groups.

• Thanks 1

Yes I did think, that out of the two the second one was probably the worse of. Thank you for your advice, what do you mean by putting the incubator in lockdown? Sorry, I am very new to this all☺️ Would it be okay if I were to get a day old Silkie from somewhere else and then once my silkie has hatched, mix them because I don’t want to raise only one because it will get awfully lonely?

Unfortunately the second egg looks like the embryo has died mid-term. The reason this happens is bacterial infection getting through pores in the shell. Did you wash the eggs with egg sanitiser before they went in?

We had a problem with our first hatch and ended up with only one chick, so did as you are suggesting and got more chicks from a breeder.

• Like 1

Ahh, no I didn’t because I didn’t realise until after I put them in that they need to be cleaned. I did swap incubators half way through because my other incubator wasn’t matching the temperature on the themometer so maybe it only started to develop on the day I put it into the second incubator, as the first one only got to about 35 C.
Is it possible that one of the eggs started to develop from the beginning and the second one only started to develop in the new incubator? Because If that’s the case the egg should look about 13 days into incubation? 

Think that's pretty unlikely Ellasflock, as one has developed OK. The photos look just as I'd expect a dead embryo to look. It takes about 10 or 12 days for the bacteria to multiply sufficiently. You are going to have to 'lockdown' the incubator tomorrow anyway, so sadly you can't risk a bad egg in there. Lockdown means stopping egg turning, lowering the temperature to 37C, raising the humidity to 75% and do not open the lid. If you open the lid the humidity will drop and the chick may get stuck to the internal membrane.

Katie Thear's book is worth getting. 'Incubation. A guide to hatching and rearing'. ISBN 0-9061-3725-X. When we bought ours it was only £6.95, so money well spent. it has a 'What went wrong?' section and it does mention 5 reasons for early death of embryos, which your photo could be showing. Not a problem we've ever experienced though. The aforementioned bacterial infection is listed under 'Bad eggs' and says it comes with a bad smell as well.

Lockdown means that you need to stop the eggs from turning and not open the incubator until the egg has hatched. You may need to increase the humidity too if it has been low to make sure the membrane doesn’t dry out once the chick starts to hatch.

Yes you will be fine getting a day old chick from anywhere to keep your one company - I’ve done it twice with great success.

Keep us posted...

• Thanks 1

Hi okay thank you for the advice! Lockdown will commence tomorrow morning first thing! I actually candled them today and for some reason the one that looked like it had died has suddenly filled the shell?!🤨 It also doesn’t smell or look bad so I think I’m going to leave it inside for a few more days to see if it hatches because I got a shock when I looked today! And I was positive it had died yesterday. I guess we will have to wait and see! I have called a few places and no one seems to have any Silkie chicks so I am depending on it to hatch to be honest or I will have to travel quite far which isn’t ideal in the current situation obviously!

thank you!! 🤣

On 2/5/2021 at 8:38 PM, ellasflock said:

I will have to travel quite far which isn’t ideal in the current situation obviously!

I was lucky that I got my chicks 10 minutes away in the car.

The lady I got them from said that you are allowed to travel because it is for the animals' well being.

They don’t always hatch bang on the right day, so don’t give up straight away if it doesn’t happen tomorrow. Have a good look and listen to the egg now (without opening the incubator) - they often start to rock and roll about as the chick gets into position to hatch, and once it has pipped internally you may hear it cheeping. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Edited by mullethunter
  • Like 1

Yes I think that is the case! I noticed that one of the eggs had completely turned, at first I thought that I had accidentally knocked it but after reading this I now know it’s getting ready for hatch! I will send a few photos when they hatch, either tomorrow or Tuesday hopefully! Thank you for the advice!

• Like 2

I was just about to update everyone! So annoyingly not, but I am not that surprised because I did have a few temperature problems at the start so they are probably still developing. But the eggs seem to have moved around a bit and I don’t have an automatic turner so I think it is getting ready! I will wait a couple more days but I have a feeling they could start pipping anytime soon! ☺️

I also think I miss counted the days because I realised I shouldn’t count the day I put them in, so today is actually day 21. 🤣

• Like 1

Well I didn’t have an automatic Turner but then I changed incubators and turned it on but it didn’t work so I had to manually turn them for a few days and then the Turner decided to work 😂 now I have switched it off because of the lockdown, which someone kindly informed me about otherwise I wouldn’t have known! I turned them about 4 times a day?

Edited by ellasflock

Strictly speaking they should be turned at least 3 times or better 5 times each day throughout least  90 degrees, backwards and forwards, from the start to at least day 14. The odd number is so that the eggs don't lie in the same place over the long nighttime period I think? These are points not mentioned in the aforementioned book surprisingly, unless I have missed them? It does mention low hatch rates if you don't turn, but doesn't mention it's because the chick can get stuck to the side of the egg, unless I've missed that as well?

Keep us posted.

Yes, well I have a really good book by Gail Damerow, which i recommend and it says that if you don’t turn them then they can get stuck to the side of the egg and will probably hatch disabled. I think I turned them correctly hopefully, and the egg Turner eventually started to work and seemed to almost jolt the eggs around in a circle every hour or so. Apparently this is normal for the Brinsea incubator so I trust it works okay. I think I will expect them to hatch by Thursday considering my incubator that I used for the first week was only reaching 34 degrees 😬 luckily they look as though they have developed, hopefully they both hatch rather than only one. I will keep everyone updated when I see the first pip!