ellasflock

Candling Egg day 17

Hi Everyone so another little update, I didn’t think that one of the eggs was alive any more because there was no movement and so I candled it and there seems to be a black murky blob in the air cell and looks to me as of there is also a blood ring. So unfortunately one egg is dead I think. I wasn’t sure about the other egg, but the chirping has stopped, so I don’t really know what to do?!

Of course they will stop chirping and rest, perhaps sleep? As chicks they will fall asleep every few minutes, which is why the drinkers have to be very shallow, so that they don't drown if they fall asleep in them. The blood ring may be a bacterial ring, but best just leave them alone as movement will disorientate them and you shouldn't be opening the incubator now anyway.

That’s a shame. I suspect the temperature in the first incubator and then moving them half way through was just too much for them to cope with. But you live and learn don’t you?

After you’ve given them a couple more days, if you can bring yourself to do it it may be useful to open them and see how far they got - might give you more of an idea of what went wrong; how well your candling showed you what was actually going on etc.

There’s loads of great websites with lots of advice on all sorts of things to do and not to do when incubating eggs - definitely worth educating yourself as much as possible before going again.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone. So I have just undergone an eggtopsy. It was probably the most disgusting thing I have ever done but I think I know what went wrong. Out of the two eggs one wasn’t even a fully formed chick, it was a very small embryo which I think died around day 8/9. The second one was a fully formed chick although it’s sac wasn’t fully absorbed and looked almost ruptured because lots of brown gunk was coming from it, it’s skull was also soft so I think this little guy died day 16. I don’t know why it would have died, maybe from humidity changes or delayed growth because of my incubator swap at the start. Unfortunately I don’t have photos because I just thought it wasn’t a sight I ought to remember. I am due to order a batch of chicks on March 1st.

I also noticed that the chick wasn’t in the right position for hatch. It’s beak hadn’t broken through the membrane, and it was curled under the head.

• Sad 1