Luvachicken

What has happened to the Omlet forum now ?

Yet again something has happened to the forum.

Something in it's appearance has changed but more than that,  my PM's have mostly disappeared.

It's so frustrating.

I admit I did have quite a lot of messages and I always delete them eventually but surely that should be my choice of when to do that.

The forum software was updated on Friday - it should mostly look correct again now. If we've missed anything, please let us know, and if you happen to have a screenshot of how it used to look, that would be great.

The unread content option is still there - if you hover over "Activity" in the grey bar at the top, you'll see the option in the bar below - Or you can just use this link: https://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/discover/unread/

18 minutes ago, Dave_L said:

The forum software was updated on Friday - it should mostly look correct again now. If we've missed anything, please let us know, and if you happen to have a screenshot of how it used to look, that would be great.

The unread content option is still there - if you hover over "Activity" in the grey bar at the top, you'll see the option in the bar below - Or you can just use this link: https://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/discover/unread/

I did find it under Activity, but it used to be a button. Not a big deal though.

On 5/10/2021 at 11:43 AM, Dave_L said:

Discovered the button is still there, but invisible! See red circle.

9DEFEA71-2FA7-47A8-BC77-5670E4F5771B.jpeg

• Haha 1

I also have a pop up along the right hand side asking me to subscribe to the newsletter.  I can't scroll the pop p or see what I am typing right now as its hidden behind the pop up.  I can't see the 'x' box to get rid of the message as I can't move the pop up.  Its mega annoying and I will have to stop uising the foum unless you can make it go away.  I don't see why I should sign up to the newsletter to do this.

PS after typing that I realised I had to sign up otherwise I couldn't submit this comment because the 'Submit Reply' button is hidden behind the subcribe pop up.  I am not a happy bunny and will be unsubscribing from the newsletter immediately.

3 hours ago, Daphne said:

I also have a pop up along the right hand side asking me to subscribe to the newsletter.  I can't scroll the pop p or see what I am typing right now as its hidden behind the pop up.  I can't see the 'x' box to get rid of the message as I can't move the pop up.  Its mega annoying and I will have to stop uising the foum unless you can make it go away.  I don't see why I should sign up to the newsletter to do this.

PS after typing that I realised I had to sign up otherwise I couldn't submit this comment because the 'Submit Reply' button is hidden behind the subcribe pop up.  I am not a happy bunny and will be unsubscribing from the newsletter immediately.

Exactly the same thing happened to me and I gave in and signed up in the end so that I could post about it and find the submit button...........only to find that my post hadn't appeared in the thread anyway! The pop up had no way of deleting it and it felt a bit intimidating; I didn't want to sign up but had no choice if I wanted to continue using the forum. I have to say that I am a huge fan of the 'if it an't broke, don't fix it' school of thought!

7 hours ago, Daphne said:

I had this the other day too and it was really annoying.

Hubby fixed it for me but I can't remember how.

I don't see why I should sign up for a newsletter when I already get it.

4 hours ago, Daphne said:

As soon as I'd subscribed I got an email saying I needed to confirm, otherwise I wouldn't get the newsletter.  Obviously I didn't confirm!  I can now see everything normally.

I haven't heard any more from them and plan to unsubscribe as soon as I do!

I am losing my patience now.  I have just gone into a thread of little facts and things to find 30% of the page taken up with irrelevant nonsense telling me when the thread was started, the most prolific posters etc and giving me some 'interesting' posts.  From 2020.  So not interesting at all.  Plus some uncalled for photos.  Maybe you don't care, Omlet, about who uses this site, but if you bothered to analyse useage, you would see it is now reduced to a few tried and tested old timers who treasure the site as a community.  I can see we may not be your chosen demographic, so whilst you might be hunting new users, just take a look and see if they linger/contribute after having their query answered.  I can tell you most of them don't, so you are not building up a store of people for the future either with your tactics.  And we have had far too many spam posts, which fortunately CT seems to spot and flag up.  When added to bizarre page appearances, my confidence in the security of the site, is severely dented.  In my day, things were tested before they appeared in the public domain, and a new release was released, once, not piecemeal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daphne said:

I am losing my patience now.  I have just gone into a thread of little facts and things to find 30% of the page taken up with irrelevant nonsense telling me when the thread was started, the most prolific posters etc and giving me some 'interesting' posts.  From 2020.  So not interesting at all.  Plus some uncalled for photos. 

How odd, are you using a computer to access the forum, or a tablet or phone? And what browser are you using. Might be useful for @Dave_L and others to know. I haven’t had any of the likes, but just been visiting on my iPhone.

I understand your frustration though. It used to be that it took a few days before you could join. And then you couldn’t do much in your first few posts. It deterred a lot of spammers then, but times change and people in general expect a quick fix and definitely not a few days waiting period before joining any website.

I tried getting on on Google as usal but it said there was an error.

I'm currently using Firefox.

Computers frustrate me at the best of times - how hubby and DS can spend all day fixing and building software I really don't know.

If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2021 at 3:11 PM, Luvachicken said:

So I tried clicking on my Omlet forum at the top of my laptop as I always do and it consistently shows up as an error, but if I type in Omlet Forum into Google it works absolutely fine.

Yet another thing to add to my frustrations.

That sounds like you've got a bookmark to an old URL that's not automatically redirecting. If you could click on the bookmark, and then copy & paste what it shows in the address bar into a reply here, then I can see about fixing the redirect