anitopia

Mycoplasma and Tylan powder

Sorry if this an often repeated question.

I have 7 hens in total with 4 being purchased 14 days ago. All went well with introductions after isolation. The 4 new hens seem in good health etc.

Now 2 of my originals have become ill with coughing and general gurgling sounds. The worst one has been taken into my home and intensively cared for as the weather was cold and wet and she refused to eat or drink and was very withdrawn. 

We have been prescribed Tylan powder.  So 2x 5G pots to be mixed in with 10 litres of water. Now one is particularly low so how much in syringe form could I actually administer direct to her so she is actually getting a useful amount of Tylan. So I did some calculations and I think based on them being roughly 3kg it should be 0.35g. Does that sound about right? And if so do I just measure it out mix in with a little water and syringe in at the more concentrated dose?

I feel so bad and guilty at getting the new chickens now as everything was okay before hand 🙁 but now the situation is here I have to deal with it and keep everything crossed they all get through it.

Thank you 🐔.

We had Tylan a long time ago.

If I remember correctly, we mixed small amounts of it into a certain amount of water and the chickens self administered it as they drank.

We bought some teeny scales because the amounts of Tylan were so small to mix in the water.

I would syringe her your diluted amount perhaps every hour for now and then maybe she might perk up enough to help herself to the drink on her own.

I will try to find my posts to see if that might help x (although I might be a while) 

• Like 1

Thank you Luvachicken.

It is all very mind straining isn’t it 🤣🤣 .

My vet is lovely and will order in the injectable version if she doesn’t get better. He said it is almost impossible to work out and an individual dosage etc of the powdered one but yes a few syringes a day won’t hurt her. I went on to the tylan site and I think it would be 0.35g daily for her size. My maths teacher would be proud 🤣. Midnight is a large chicken (Barnvelder) and 2 years old so hope she is strong enough to get through this.

Annie and Bonnie who are still within the flock seem much better this morning but it could be the metacam helping them. So avoidance of the brown eggs as there is a withdrawal for metacam.

xxx

Sounds very much like your new hens have infected your originals with the mild immunisation viruses they have had. Presume you had a flock of three pedigrees and you have now introduced 4 hybrids? This happened to us when we did something similar but we had 9 pedigrees and introduced 2 hybrids. In our case they were all very sick and were on Nystatin (I think?) for two weeks, which is a broad spectrum water soluble antibiotic. When we checked what these new birds were carrying it was Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis and ILT. We didn't lose any but left the vet's have paid a £200 bill.

I don't think Tylan will be sufficient, because if i'm right it's not just Myco they have.

Sorry just been rushed off my feet with everything.

Midnight is still with us, Tuesday 6th July. She went down really badly a week ago  and I thought she was going to die in our arms but she didn’t. She still isn’t fully recovered but we also were given a decongestant normally used on cows and pigs and it has released the blocked up mucus. Sadly her sister Bonnie and Annie also got the disease. Annie never really got it as bad but Bonnie is suffering badly. So we are still putting tylan in the water and cleaning up snotty nostrils with diluted vertrx and also a couple of warm drops of it at night in their mouths and also the decongestant. It is a battle and at the moment Bonnie isn’t eating much so has a near enough empty crop and not passing much through where as Midnight has a doughy crop today so have been researching that as well. I have been massaging it and giving her a couple of syringes of ACV in water. I did find a remedy recipe on a site and not sure whether to try it. Cinnamon, ginger and cayenne pepper mixed in with lemon juice. I tasted it and I thought it was too spicy 🤷‍♀️. I’m guessing it is really the acidity that is working on the crop.

So the journey through this continues  🐔 

The new ladies are still symptom free and enjoying creating havoc 🤣🤣 .

Dont know about you all but some decent warm and dry weather would help at least me feel better and I would hope help the girls as well xxx

• Thanks 1