Luvachicken

Had to have Peggy put to sleep yesterday.

My sweet little Peggy was put to sleep yesterday morning.

I tried so hard to make her better and although she kept fighting to survive, it just wasn't fair on her any more.

Unfortunately, I couldn't take her, because of work, but I did phone the vet at 8am when they opened and they said hubby could take her at 8.30am

I didn't think it was fair to make her wait until I had finished work at the end of the school day, and besides, it was a lot cooler at 8.30am than it would have been at 4pm.

Peggy was so very pretty with beautiful soft, grey feathers under her wings.

Sleep tight Peggy x

• Sad 1

Night night Peggy. Always hard to lose a pet and they do leave a big hole in your life @Luvachicken.

We lost Minnie a few days ago. She was the last of the chickens that came to France with us. She was 11 and half years old and doing surprisingly well after losing her sister Margo 6 months ago. She started crowing! But a combination of things caused her to leave us earlier than perhaps she should have. Slugs and snails started to eat her food. Then we cut her enclosure without the grass box. She had a grass impacted digestive system and we think that her food became unpalatable leaving her hungry, then the cut grass arrived. So she gorged on that and it killed her. So many years of experience and we are still making mistakes. We thought she had made a turn around after several poos of grass. She became very active for a short while, but as is so often the case it was a last fling. Minnie was very pretty as well, despite her age her feathering was amazing. A gold laced wyandotte. Night night Minnie.

• Sad 2

I am very sorry for both your losses.  I know I can't write anything which will come close to closing the gap for either of you, but just know there are people you have never met who share your sense of sadness.  RIP Peggy and Minnie.

Beantree, that is a fantastic age, I never got anywhere near it, you even gave her a go at being the boss by the sound of it!  She must have had a fantastic life to live such a long time, which hopefully means lots of good memories for you.

Luvachicken, we know how much you tried to save Peggy, you did your best for her whilst she was alive and made the right choice at the end, caring for her all the while.  That's all anybody can do, so when you can, just enjoy thinking about the good times with her.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your wishes everyone.

@Beantree what fantastic ages for both of your chickens to get to.

They must have had a wonderful time to live to that kind of age.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:00 PM, Daphne said:

Luvachicken, we know how much you tried to save Peggy, you did your best for her whilst she was alive and made the right choice at the end, caring for her all the while.  That's all anybody can do, so when you can, just enjoy thinking about the good times with her.

I did try everything - various fruit, veg, cat food, tuna, maggots, crickets, big ants and mini mealworms. Just as I thought she'd start to nibble something and look a bit better, she'd then get worse again. And every night that I said goodnight to her, I would fear the worst, only to be greeted by her standing up ready, in the morning. I even made her a bug smoothie - it looked disgusting and I must admit, she wasn't impressed. I fed her the magic formula stuff and gave her a drink every hour that I wasn't in school.

She is in a better place now and no longer suffering. 

The adults at school yesterday were more understanding than I thought they would be, which was nice - most people don't understand about chickens.  

Luvachicken I’m so sorry to hear that Peggy is gone but you really did try everything for her and well done for giving her the kindest way out. If a chicken can feel cared for she certainly would have done. She’s OK now.

Beantree sorry to hear about Minnie too - what a super chicken she must’ve been - I hope my Wyandottes go on that long!

• Like 1

It's always really hard to lose a furry or feathered friend and a very tough call to make if you have to be the one to make the vet appointment. But give yourselves the comfort that your girls have had happy lives with you and been so well looked after. Sending virtual hugs to you. 

• Like 1