buffie

Jimmy's farm- BHWT

Why would Jimmy have an Eglu for his hens when he has just (or is in the middle of) adapting his old staff accomodation static caravans into a huge des-res hen house?

Maybe he got the eglu when he first started the farm - needed a few chooks and some quick accomodation? :wink:

Watched Jimmys farm for the first time last night, thought the programme was brilliant.

I was appalled at the state of the battery hens, Jimmy's comments that the state of the hens was obscene said it all. I have seen pictures of battery hens before but not so many together in one place, it was very sad watching them hardly move as if they did'nt know how to. But I had a good laugh watching them being chased when they escaped from the caravan, it's amazing how quickly they settled in doing the normal chicken things.

I can only hope lots of people watched the programme and are now aware of the plight of battery hens and they stop buying cheap eggs.

Well done Battery Hen Rescue and Jimmy's Farm!

I thought it was great, but that boy REALLY needs electric fencing. I think that next week's episode involves fox attacks from the look of the advert, which I don't know if I could watch. I have been told by a friend who works for the chicken marketing board that we don't have battery hens in this country, does anyone know if this is true? I was getting all indignant last night, and then thought that I might be wrong, so before I mouth off about it, am I wrong?

I thought it was great, but that boy REALLY needs electric fencing. I think that next week's episode involves fox attacks from the look of the advert, which I don't know if I could watch. I have been told by a friend who works for the chicken marketing board that we don't have battery hens in this country, does anyone know if this is true? I was getting all indignant last night, and then thought that I might be wrong, so before I mouth off about it, am I wrong?

Oh we certainly do that's what Jimmy adopted, I was at the rescue last year and will be there again this year so I'm not sure what your friend is saying to be honest :? .

Check the Battery Hen Welfare Trust website and you'll see for yourself www.thehenshouse.co.uk

BBx

Perhaps friend is confusing battery hens with pigs. Pigs are still kept in crates in Europe, especially in Holland (that's why most of the ham and bacon in the shops is Dutch because it is cheaper). In the UK pigs have to be kept in open barns etc so they have freedom to move round. Not as good as free range with option to root round in ground outside, but an awful lot better than the prison conditions Dutch pigs are kept in.

There's another benefit to not eating anything that contains battery eggs. Now I can't eat tuna mayo and cheese baguettes or paninis at lunchtime, roasted veg lasagne at the pub, battered or breaded fish or scampi from the chippy, welsh rarebit from my favourite cafe, loads of lovely choccies and pastries and on and on and on ............ I'm finally losing weight :lol: !

I'm manically fussy about food now, especially after reading Not On The Label. It's made me think so much more about what fuels my body and the impact food production has on other people's lives and the environment. I try extremely hard to buy local, organic and at the very least British. It does get very complicated but I hope it becomes my routine soon!

Not On The Label should be compulsory reading for anyone who eats food!!!

Or you can make the things yourself if you have the time - that way you can be certain where everything comes from.

i'm doing that more and more kate and I don't like to eat eggs out anymore unless they are our girls. When we stay at friends we supply the eggs or I just don't bother!

BBx

Last nights episode was great wasn't it?

Cleo & I watched it this afternoon, & we were both crying at the poor hens :(

Afterwards we went to see our happy hens & collected 3 eggs,so that cheered us up :P

Cleo now wants a naughty housepig.....well, they were adorable,weren't they?