Cate

Flooring for chicken run

Help! With all this rain our run has turned into a bog. We covered it at the beginning of winter with hard wood chippings but these seem to have disintegrated into mud (although I am not sure we put enough down) What is everyone else using and where are you getting it from? 

On 2/20/2022 at 2:06 PM, Cate said:

Help! With all this rain our run has turned into a bog. We covered it at the beginning of winter with hard wood chippings but these seem to have disintegrated into mud (although I am not sure we put enough down) What is everyone else using and where are you getting it from? 

What do you have underneath the wood chips?

I have wood chips on paving slabs and need to change them around every month. But it depends on how wet they get, how deep your layer is and how many chickens you have on a certain area.

My girls have hard wood wood chips from Flyte So Fancy. They are on top of patio stones. They have kicked some into their soil area but nothing has happened to them - they are still there.

We've only just recently changed their wood chip after having them in the run for 6 years.

My run is totally covered on the roof and just gets a bit wet at the sides. 

What wood chips did you buy before?

On 2/20/2022 at 1:34 PM, Cat tails said:

What do you have underneath the wood chips?

I have wood chips on paving slabs and need to change them around every month. But it depends on how wet they get, how deep your layer is and how many chickens you have on a certain area.

It is just soil with some grass protection mesh over the top. It is the n a really boggy part of the garden. Only 4 chickens and we did a 5 cm layer previously.

On 2/20/2022 at 2:08 PM, Luvachicken said:

My girls have hard wood wood chips from Flyte So Fancy. They are on top of patio stones. They have kicked some into their soil area but nothing has happened to them - they are still there.

We've only just recently changed their wood chip after having them in the run for 6 years.

My run is totally covered on the roof and just gets a bit wet at the sides. 

What wood chips did you buy before?

They are in a really boggy part of the garden. We have them on top of soil covered with grass protection mesh and then a 5cm layer. Used hard wood chippings (I think ash) ordered from internet. Their run is totally covered in tarpaulin with some reed matting on 2 sides as we are quite exposed to wind and rain where we are.

Will take a look at flyte so fancy. Thank you

On 2/20/2022 at 2:21 PM, Wh hens said:

I agree with luvachicken use the flyte so fancy woodchip a deep layer no tarpaulin as it stops it draining.

Thanks will take a look

You need to adres the floor first, before just chucking in more wood chips.

Most of us have their runs on paving slabs. It will elevate the run a bit and definitely make it less boggy. What’s the size of your run? 4 medium sized chickens will need about a square meter per chicken. The larger the space, the less maintenance your run flooring will take.

• Thanks 1