Ziggy

Worried sick

Our kittens are at the vet's today getting neutered and microchipped...

When they checked Splodge over, they found he had a bad heart murmur, which wasn't there last time he got checked and vaccinated two months ago... the vet is worried he might have a heart defect and is doing an ultrasound to check what is going on, and to see if it's safe to put him under anaesthetic for the neutering...

Am sitting at home feeling totally worried and helpless...

He is a darling kitten, and if there is something wrong with him, I will be devastated, as will my 10 year old daughter, whom he belongs to...

The wait is unbearable...

If it's any consilation, 2 of my cats have heart murmers and they can't always be heard well on examination by the vet as they're usually stressed.

My tom cat has certainly had his since birth and he's now 12 tears old, he's never required medication. One of my girls has been diagnosed for about 5 years but the vet said they're usually birth defects but they're sometimes hard to listen for.

All the best, lets hope it's not too serious.

Thanks everyone...

It's encouraging to hear of a 12 year old cat with a heart murmur, it's the thought of his life expectancy and quality of life that worries me the most... obviously, we'll take the best of care of him no matter what, but it's come as a shock... two months ago the vet didn't notice any problem and now I'm told it sounds 'quite bad', and he is lazier and fatter than his brother and sister... My mind is building up all kinds of scary stories, maybe I should just wait for the vet to get back to me...

Thanks again, I'll come and update as soon as I know.

Okie, here goes...

The vet did an ultrasound and didn't see any obvious problems with his heart... which is reassuring... she says it's a little strange that it should have been spotted today and not two months ago, as usually it's the other way round, it's spotted at 3 or 4 months and has gone by 6 months, so she'd like to give him another check in a few weeks to see if it's gone, or if it's worse, or the same, and decide then whether to do further tests to check whether his heart is under stress...

He got neutered, and recovered very quickly from the anaesthetic, which the vet says is a very good sign.... they had to do the ultrasound because if his heart had appeared abnormal the anaesthetic would have been too dangerous for him...

So, it's good news so far... can't wait to go and pick him up (and his brother and sister) and bring him home and give him loads of cuddles...