puffball

Alice-the guide dog puppy (puppy walking)

I only just thought to post on here about my guide dog puppy, Alice that I only recently had to give back :( to guide dogs. It was the only way I would ever be able to have a dog and I figured it might work for someone else on here.

_Puppy_walking_

Well, puppy walking is when you take a guide dog puppy into your home for a year (and if you get a girl often longer :wink: ) and train them the basic sit, down, stay etc. commands.

_How_do_I_puppy_walk?_

Go on the guide dogs website and click on voluntary work. Then choose puppy walking. You fill in a survey, a representative of the charity will review your house and then, if all goes well, you should have a puppy within a week!!! :D:D:D

Just thought it might help those of you wanting to help or have a dog... :)

It is THE most heartbreak in the world. I still cry some nights :(

I would still recommend it because you are helping the community as well as having a gorgeous pedigree puppy that you can take everywhere with you!!!

(Sorry if I put you off but it is a great experience!)

This really got me thinking - One of my best friends is going through the ardous process of applying to foster human children! (it's a complete nightmare - like she's on trial for murder the amount they need to know about her!) & I said to the social worker that I couldn't even foster a dog as I would get too attatched. It did really get me thinking though and OH & I had a long talk about this last night. He got really excited and we have filled in the initial enquiry forms. Waiting to hear back. We think it would be a lovely thing to do as long as we always told ourselves that the puppy wasn't ours. I know if we do get accepted it will be incredibly hard at the end of the year, but we'll give it a go. :shock:

This really got me thinking - One of my best friends is going through the ardous process of applying to foster human children! (it's a complete nightmare - like she's on trial for murder the amount they need to know about her!) & I said to the social worker that I couldn't even foster a dog as I would get too attatched. It did really get me thinking though and OH & I had a long talk about this last night. He got really excited and we have filled in the initial enquiry forms. Waiting to hear back. We think it would be a lovely thing to do as long as we always told ourselves that the puppy wasn't ours. I know if we do get accepted it will be incredibly hard at the end of the year, but we'll give it a go. :shock:

I'm sure that you'll love it if you're into dogs as much as me!

Good luck and keep me posted on how it goes!

Having puppy walked for nearly 6 years I can say it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done. Yes it is sad when they go at 12 to 14 months but the sense of satisfaction when they 'pass' as a successful Guide dog far out weighs the sadness. It is also very different to having a dog that is ill or suddenly dies, or has to be rehomed for some negative reason. You know it is yours to train and love and pass on.

I could never foster children - the thought of having to send them back to a possibly unhappy, disfunctional environment would be too hard. I admire so much those who have the generosity of spirit that I don't possess to do so.

Thats great news! good luck :D

That was months ago Chelsea! We've been doing it since February

Thanks for the good luck wish though :lol:

That was months ago Chelsea! We've been doing it since February

Thanks for the good luck wish though :lol:

Der! sorry :oops:

*note to self - I really must engage brain before posting sometimes! :roll: *

I speed read too! (you dont get to 7000 posts doing nothing ya know!) :lol: