chelsea Posted November 26, 2007 Share Posted November 26, 2007 Sorry to hear about the van Clare. What bugs me is that they ask you to stump up the deposit and not the numpty who drove into your car and attempted to flee the scene?! Insurance companies take the **** they really do.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 26, 2007 Share Posted November 26, 2007 Have just caught up with all this.....what a nuisance. Insurances companies......con merchants more like. It doesn't seem right that you should have to stump up the £100. I hope it all gets sorted quickly for you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted November 26, 2007 Share Posted November 26, 2007 Sorry to hear about your problems Clare. Mind you I did have a laugh at the thought of you in PJ's and orange crocs - in my mind you also had bed hair! Hope it all get sorted soon- I'm behind with my blog reading so I get to read it twice! And I'll probably laugh again then!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
One Man Banned Posted November 26, 2007 Share Posted November 26, 2007 It'll actually be the car hire company who are asking for the £100. It will usually be to cover the value of the tank of fuel - or at the moment, liquid gold - (as they are supplied full normally) and in case the driver of the hire car happens to have any incidents with it. It's higher than the company I worked for and a lot of them debit the amount to the card then refund it back when the hire car is returned. My old company simply get an authorisation number from the bank or credit card company that if they needed £50, they would be paid. The bank or CC would then (usually) block your amount available to withdraw or spend with the £50, they would have "promised" to the hire company. If not needed the authorisation is cancelled and the money "freed" again. In a perfect world tho, it should be the other driver who has to pay this deposit but the hire companies argue that they wouldn't be driving the hire car so the responsible party for the accident shouldn't have to pay for the driver who is. It's not very nice but I do see both sides of it. A xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted November 26, 2007 Share Posted November 26, 2007 Could you post date the chq & ask your bank to put a stop on it? (they may charge you for that, though) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted November 26, 2007 Share Posted November 26, 2007 Oh Clare I am so sorry to hear this, it is my nightmare scenario, having to park on the road too. The trouble is if someone hit my Metro, it would just disintegrate I'm sure . I agree, I think the other driver would have left the scene if he could, good job his wheel fell off. Nothing to offer but my sympathies I'm afraid, parking on the road is always a risk. We have had spates of people going down the road kicking off wing mirrors recently, and just the other night my rear wiper blade was removed. That could have caused loads of damage on my back window as the metal arm touches it when the blade is removed Many years ago we all awoke in my road to see the neighbour over the road had his car in his little front garden, all packed to go on holiday. Someone speeding along the road had hit his vehicle, and shunted it up the kerb and through the front wall Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 26, 2007 Author Share Posted November 26, 2007 I did have bed hair Pengy and a bed face too! luckily they were the PJs that I'd put new elastic in, or they'd have fallen down. Thanks for the advice Andrew - I'll wait to see what happens when the car hire company contacts me. Cheers guys - thanks for listening to my rant - I had no idea so many of you looked at my blog, I thought it was just Martin and Pengy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted November 27, 2007 Share Posted November 27, 2007 I hope you manage to get it sorted Clare. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted November 27, 2007 Share Posted November 27, 2007 Sarah, here's a picture (in the background) of 'The Bus' as Louise calls it - this was taken when we were on the way to the Edinburgh get-together. Ahh,Clare, its really sweet I hope it gets better soon Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 27, 2007 Author Share Posted November 27, 2007 Well, I've just heard from the car hire company - the youing lady there was far more amenable than the lad from the insurance company; she is going to see what she can sort out regarding the deposit. I have said that I am more than happy to leave a copy of my drivers' licence, bank details etc, just can't have £100 tied up as a deposit. Still haven't heard from the garage yet though, so it's all theoretical at this stage anyway. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
feemcg Posted November 27, 2007 Share Posted November 27, 2007 Did you see Ewan McG stopping for a pic just where you're standing Clare (at the start of The Long Way Down)?. I immediately thought of your pic, but unfortunately he didn't lift his t-shirt up Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 27, 2007 Author Share Posted November 27, 2007 Oh no, I didn't. Shame he wasn't there at the same time - he's rather tasty! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted November 27, 2007 Share Posted November 27, 2007 Funnily enough I picture you in a nice little red Spitfire or something,not a green van,but hey ho Cinnamon. Funny enough, my red spitfire is for sale!!!! New car at weekend! SOrry to hear about your van! I'd have gone mad at that lad! It's not fair that you should have to fork out for the hire car - why can't they make the stupid lad pay the deposit?? Grrrrr I'd have throttled him if he'd done that to my car - doesn't matter what your car is like as long as it goes, it's still your baby & you need it! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 27, 2007 Author Share Posted November 27, 2007 Oh, I did go mad Emma - he was quite taken aback to be berated by this tiny woman in her PJs - scary moment for him I think I have a very long fuse and don't do grumpy, but god help anyone who does rile me I had a call from the car hire company this morning and the charming young lady there is going to look at some compromise regarding the deposit. I am still waiting to hear from her. In the meantime, I am going to take the van in for a damage assessment tomorrow morning on the way into work. Progress is being made. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted November 27, 2007 Share Posted November 27, 2007 I'd love a little red spitfire Sarah... one day *smiles dreamily* Thanks Jules - that's Rosie's favourite clip too. they can borrow Biscuit if they want the real experience. We have big, fat Jethro-no need to borrow Biscuit thanks! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 27, 2007 Author Share Posted November 27, 2007 Biscuit was on form this morning - Rosie was sharing my bed as my mother is staying, so I had her kicking me on one side and Biccie wanting cuddles on the other... Not much room for me. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...