menagerie

Soft shelled eggs

Can anyone help with my problem with Scarlett? For the last couple of weeks she's been laying infrequently and when she does lay the eggs are often soft-shelled, also quite often stuck onto a proper egg, as if they're going through her in pairs and one of the shells has not formed properly. When she does lay a proper egg the shells seem slightly thinner than normal. Some of the soft shelled ones have yolks and others don't, and they're long rather than egg shaped.

Apart from last friday when she seemed down she is acting normally and eating, drinking and running about. Our other 2 hens are laying fine and we have provided more poultry grit/oyster shell than normal. Can anyone tell me what's going on and do I need to take her to the vet. I've already read the soft shelled stickies on the forum but can't find anything quite like this.

do you give the grit/oyster shell in seperate feeders or mixed in with the food? if seperate, have you actually seen her eat the grit/oyster shell? if not, try mixing it in with the food.

This morning Roxanne laid two soft shelled eggs. One looked normal until I picked it up and it burst :vom: and the other one was small and a funny shape.

I provide grit for them but I think I might start mixing some in with their porridge to make sure they are eating enough?

Chicken grit should be provided for hens, to help digestion. Oyster shell is used as a calcium booster. Limestone flour works the same way and is apparently more digestable.

I have used limestone flour mixed in with their evening pellet porridge for a few weeks and Laverne's eggs are much better quality now! :D:D

This morning Roxanne laid two soft shelled eggs. One looked normal until I picked it up and it burst Sick and the other one was small and a funny shape.

SNAP! I found one soft egg this morning already broken in the nest box (either with no yolk or it had been eaten) and then she laid another small softie later on which was funny shaped and had a translucent dent in it.

She's been laying every day for a couple of weeks and I've been putting out plenty of grit and started them on Limestone Flour earlier this week. She had a sneezing session this afternoon that terrified me too.

I'm way too anxious to have chickens! I thought pets were supposed to be relaxing??

Jo

I think it might be something to do with such short days - Scarlett was always like clockwork up until recently. Maybe they can't ingest enough calcium or something. Anyway I have stopped treats and am mixing the grit and oyster with the feed and she does seem to have been OK the last few days so fingers crossed. I will try to get hold of some limestone flour too. It is terrible having chickens as the slightest thing makes you panic - I can quite sympathise.

My Bunny laid more softeis than hardies after starting well. Then she got sporadic and now she's moulting. She was supposed to only be 16 weeks when I got her but she laid her first egg very quickly. She NEVER crouched.