One Man Banned

PC World a rant - RESULT!

A few weeks ago Joe dropped my laptop, and it went to our local PC World for repair as it is insured.

I dropped it off and rang a week later to check that it was ready and told "yes come and collect it".

I go in and the laptop hadn't even been touched as they "needed to have" the power adaptor, despite the machine being fully charged with 3hours battery life.

I went back home got the adaptor and back to the store and got them to give me a loan laptop as I was expecting my machine back - they were reluctant but I did get one :wink:

I called them today as its been nearly two weeks and I want my laptop back. "Yes, it's ready for collection just bring the loan one back so we can give it to you". I wasn't rang as it was returned late last night and no-one had called yet. This was 1630 :think: hmnn.

Just been in to collect my machine and the repair is shocking. They have had to replace the lid casing as it was damaged and the screen was bowed when the lid was closed. So now the Philips logo missing, and the front of the screen still has the bent and damaged casing so there's a nice gap to the bottom of the screen, the bit you wouldn't normally see.

The hinges aren't fitted correctly and are pressing into the new lid too.

The senior technician told me it was cosmetic damage and therefore not covered.

I've left the machine with them and kept their loan one (after just restoring it and wiping it clean :roll:) while they send it back as it's a shoddy repair. Coupled that it doesn't boot up which got the kid on the counter a bit flustered :lol: and it only has 32mins battery life, they never even used the adadptor :roll: - it was also fixed on the 2nd Jan :evil: MORE LIES!!

To say I'm a bit annoyed is an understatement, especially as the tech guy told me that the missing logo is cosmetic and if it was damaged when out for repair, I have to contact the customer services department. I told him that it went in with it so I want it back with it and they will have to sort it, thanks all the same.

Feel better now, I'll get a coffee.

A

xx

Edited by Guest

I'd be devastated if any equipment of mine had to go there for repair.

Last time I passed their repair bit in the big one there were 2 of my ex pupils working in there. Well failing IT doesn't mean you can't fix a computer as thats not what we teach BUT these were kids who failed EVERYTHING and in all my lessons had never displayed any technical knowledge or interest.

I do teach kids who are failing because the school system isn't right for them and I've come across some who are really interested in techy stuff etc but they have always tried to engage me in some conversation about it (even if only as an excuse not to work on their boring database!).

But these 2 numpties would have frightened me let loose on my kit. A bit like the one who changed a tyre for me at the local Kwik Fit - I said to the manager - has he been here long and was told 2 days so I said do me a favour and check the work - he might be nervous working on my car as I was his teacher and the manager was OK with that. Good job as I wouldn't have trusted him to change his socks let alone my tyre!

I will never,never,ever shop at PC World again after the problems we have had with 2 faulty laptops.

To cut a long story short both laptops,which were bought at the same time,are faulty.When we switch them on they trip the power in the house.

I phoned the manufacturer who admit it is a known fault,but say PC World Tech Guys have to repair it as they are under a year old.

They have BOTh been into PC World TWICE & BOTH come back with no repair made.

I marked the power lead,which was to have been replaced,with pen,& even though they said they had replaced them,the laptops came back with the same pen marked power leads.

I wrote to Head office about 4 weeks ago as I am not going back into the store agian with them & have not yet had a response. :evil::evil::evil:

:evil: dont get me started on pc world :evil:

*takes deep breaths*

I feel very similarly about them too!!

I once had problem with a laptop that wouldn't start any longer, and called to ask if they offered data recovery, and they said yes, but only as long as the laptop worked fine!!! I pointed to them that that would be 'back up' rather than 'recovery' and they got really aggravated and told me if I wasn't happy with their service I could just go and speak to someone else in any other shop... My husband managed to take the hard disk out of the broken laptop and get all my data back in less than 30 mins!! How a place that is supposed to deal with computers couldn't do that, I can't explain...

Last time we bought something from them, there was such a queue in the shop, and we knew exactly what we wanted so DH tried to ask the man giving queuing numbers if the item was in stock, so we didn't queue for nothing (they said queuing time was 40 mins), and we were blankly told by someone who had a computer there and could easily have checked, that we'd have to queue for all that time just to find out if there was stock!! I can understand queuing to be served, but the thought of queuing so long just to be told 'oh we don't have any in stock' is just crazy...

We had nightmare after nightmare with our last pc which we got there. We were forever callign them out to fix an ongoing problem and when our cover ran out they tried to claim the problem was something new so we would have to pay. We gave up in the end and bought a new pc from somewhere else as they were so rubbish.

I hope you get it fully sorted.

My sister's computer wouldn't switch on a while back and her boyfriend phoned up PC world to ask how much it would cost to fix it. Then he phoned another computer place and they would fix it for her for about 1/5 of the price.

Thus I'm doubtless to say they're expensive and useless!

and yet it gets worse.

I have just had Parcelline at the door. Would you believe it - they've returned my laptop to me :shock:

They haven't done anything with it just a note from the "engineer" that all the damage is cosmetic and therefore will not be covered under the warranty.

I've just made a few phonecalls and they say they can do nothing about it. Phone one customer service department, they told me to ring someone else and then they have just told me to ring Pc Performance customer services again.

I was a bit mean to the last girl I spoke to - asked her why I would be ringing them. She didn't know :? It was just somewhere to send me. :evil:

I am off to the store (without the loan laptop either, they can contact ME when they want it back) and get them to sort this out once and for all.

I'm FUMING!!!

A

xx

Ok so weeks have passed and I still don't have my laptop back...but!

As I was told to sort out the logo problem myself I've been doing some rooting about - it's not technically a Philips laptop, they sell Dixons Store Group a licence to use the brand as they use so many components. It's made by a company in China called Quanta who also make the Advent (PC world own brand) and it's the same spec as mine except mine has a 120gb hard drive.

There is no Philips logo as the Philips is a moulded lid, and they've fitted the one for the Advent. Philips lid on Ebay £15.

After no help at all from ANY of the customer service centres I emailed corporate affairs at DSGi (just before I'd found out that a logo wouldn't exist :roll: but was asking them to get a logo off the production line :D ) at the head office and surprise surprise I got a response and a lovely woman has been sorting this out for me, she took it as a complaint and is working from the top down to get it resolved.

She rang yesterday to tell me that they can't get a Philips lid for about another 20 days so they are going to replace my laptop. Well, give me £450 of vouchers for another one. I paid £650 for my laptop with £300 off for signing up to Orange for broadband so we've discussed that they up the value to match the true cost and I'm waiting to see if I get the HP laptop I've decided on.

I'll let you know!!

A

xx

Oh Andrew, I was so pleased I stuck to the end of this thread. I almost gave up halfway through with frustration at PC 'stupid' World and how appalling they've been to you and so many.

You really shouldn't have to go through such a stress trying to sort out something so simple.

Steer clear of PCW now!! They have a terrible reputation. Working in the CAD department at university, they recommend that you NEVER go anywhere near a chain store for computing stuff.

:evil: PC World :evil:

You really are hainvg a tough old time at the moment aren't you. Big Hugs for you xxx

P C World :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

I wil not ever ever ever ever ever ever, never never never, absolutely, step foot in that place again .........ever :evil:

I bought Ollie a PC from there 15 months ago and after 6 weeks it wouldn't turn on unless you took the battery out plugged it into the mains, switch it on and then put the battery back in. Ollie was using the computer at school for his GCSEs as he has special needs and the IT dept at school were very helpful and kept temporarily sorting out the problem so it would work at school. They told me exactly what they thought was wrong, wrote it all down so I could take it back to PC world and get it repaired. I took it to PCW who informed me that I needed to book it in not just arrive with it as I had. They had no time for 2 weeks to look at it so I booked it in and returned on the agreed date - they then looked at it and said it worked fine - I explained that it was an intermitant problem, again told them what the IT dept had told me................after weeks and weeks I gave up and paid one of the technicians at Ollie's school to repair it and it's been fine ever since :roll::D

The IT dept said in their opinion PCW is the last place in this world you should ever go :wink:

Glad you're getting somewhere Andrew - but it takes so much time and effort to acheive would should been done automatically as part of customer care

I went browsing in Currys and PC World at a replacement the other day and spotted the same laptop as mine (pre-owned) up for £575.

So today Melanie calls back to up the offer to £580 - but I held out and put my case across for £650 and that's what they've settled on.

I'm getting a better spec'd laptop than I got originally at the same original price - RESULT! :D

Just got to wait a week for the vouchers and then I can go and choose my new machine :lol:

A good case of consumer power - if you've got a good case, stick it out as these companies can be beaten :wink:

A

xx

Great news Andrew

It's nice to hear a success story

Sarah, I once had a complaint about something from Tesco Direct. Numerous calls and emails to Customer Services :? could not get this sorted.

So I found out the name of the Head of Customer Services at HO and sent a letter personally addressed to him and Sir Terry Leahy (CEO)

Within 3 days, I had a personally signed apology letter from Sir Terry, a refund and a load of vouchers

It pays to complain

Well an odd thing - I've had more good service from PC World - not the Gloucester branch tho :wink:

I went to Cheltenham yesterday afternoon and I have the new laptop I wanted.

Ok, I've paid for it on my card but when I get the vouchers that I'm getting, they will refund the card - something they wouldn't normally do. And the helpful young man gave me a month's free warranty that'll start again when I do the "return/buy back" :lol:

Still haven't mentioned the loan laptop I still have :wink:

A

xx