Guest Poet

eczema homeopathic remedies anyone?

I find reading about all your successes with the treatment of your eczema very gratifying. It also seems to prove - at leat to me - that natural products are best, and all the additives could be making things worse.

My ex husband is a homoeopath. Also works for one of the companies producing the remedies and I remember him saying that treating eczema is very difficult. In classical homoeopathy it is actually GOOD that it comes out and if treated in the wrong way it will just be suppressed and will then establish itself as something more life threatening or internal, like asthma for example. From your descriptions it would be impossible to have much quality of life with constant itching, scratching and misery. I really have no suggestions other than all the good advice already mentioned. It is so difficult when I am one of those lucky ones who don't suffer from any allergies, eczema etc and I am very thankful that my children have also been so lucky. I really hope you all get some permanent relief from this. And Poet, it might just be possible that your new medication has that kind of reaction, but hopefully it will be temporary till your body is used to it.

All the best!

Laila

thank you all so much, I'm going to buy some of the products recommended and i'll have a go at cats recipe too.

I've scratched my eyes so much today that i've managed to scratch my eyeball and it feels like i've got a piece of grit in it now and it's all red and weepy, grrrrrrr!

gonna retire for the evevning but you've been a big help and i'm definitely going to implement some of your ideas. I'll let you know how i get on.

xxxx

The problem with creams from the doctor is that they are water based and so after applying they absorb too quickly and actaully dry the skin even more, so you end up in a vicious circle. something oil based is a lot better and you dont need to apply it so often either as its slow to absorbe.

Hi,

I have psoriasis so have similar problems and can sympathise. I don't think that winter helps with the bracing weather and central heating.

Here's what works for me......

I find Liz Earle products to be very good, although pricey - they contain natural ingredients with lots of essential oils. There is a body wash which smells of oranges which is lovely.

Bio Oil is a wonderful moisturiser, again lots of essential oils in there.

Lush Dream Cream is very nice, and I've used several of their facial moisturisers - never had a bad reaction to them.

I have used coconut oil on my skin over the years which helps also.

Johnson's Baby Oil gel with either chamomile or lavender is a great body moisturiser, especially if you slap it on after a bath.

I use a lot of pure lavender oil around the place and drop it into the bath together with some almond oil so that it coats you as you step out.

Finally, I have a honey based moisturiser called Medihoney which I bought in the chemist. It has manuka honey in it and it is lovely. This extract is taken from their website (www.medihoney.com)

Suitable for persons prone to Eczema, Psoriasis, Dermatitis and Dry Skin.

Moisturising™ Cream is designed for

• those who need to moisturise large areas of dry skin,

• use for prolonged periods, or

• who are seeking something suitable to use on children

Directions For Use

Apply small amount to skin 3 times daily or as needed. If any irritation occurs, discontinue use. For external use only. Avoid contact with eyes. When using for the first time, patch test on a small area of skin.

Medihoney™ Moisturising Cream contains a proprietary mix of honeys including active Manuka honey selected for its exceptional antibacterial activity. The antibacterial activity of these honeys is due to a variety of distinctly different mechanisms. The uniqueness of this honey gives Medihoney™ products effective antibacterial action against a broad spectrum of bacteria.

Selected honeys have been used for over 5000 years as a protective skin care preparation. Through international research and product development, Medihoney has developed an exciting range of products based on natural ingredients for the whole family.

Available from...

Medihoney™ Moisturising Cream is available from selected Holland and Barrett stores and independent pharmacies (15g: PIP Code 310-3298, 50g: PIP Code 310-3280).

* as of July 14th, Medihoney™ Moisturising Cream will be available from Lloyds pharmacy stores.

They also do an antiseptic cream which is very good - I had a scratch from my cat and it became a bit nasty - I'd been putting plasters on it and it didn't want to heal - I put a bit of this stuff on and it cleared up very quickly.

I hope this helps! Some things work for some people, and others for others.

Hope it all feels better soon!

I have suffered from horrific psoriasis during this pregnancy (some of you may remember me asking for facial moisturiser advice a while back), and my GP recommended dead sea salt products, and they have worked wonders for my skin and scalp. Boots stock dead sea salt products, and honestly, I noticed a significant diffference within a few days. I started to use it on Owens eczema as well, and it's fantastic. E45 seems to make his skin itchier before it improves, but there has been no itchyness with the sea salt moisturiser.

Edited by Guest

thanks diane, that medihoney sounds interesting. I used to get Manuka honey shampoo from the body shop and it was brilliant, never caused me any irritation whatsoever then they stopped making it!!!!!! i tried the new ginger one which replaced it but it was rubbish, IMO. So i went back to dove.

I need to be careful with the pennies but i am going to have to try a few of these products that have been recommended.

Thanks chookiehen, I'll have a look at those too.

I have suffered from horrific psoriasis during this pregnancy (some of you may remember me asking for facial moisturiser advice a while back), and my GP recommended dead sea salt products, and they have worked wonders for my skin and scalp. Boots stock dead sea salt products, and honestly, I significant diffference within a few days. I started to use it on Owens eczema as well, and it's fantastic. E45 seems to make his skin itchier before it improves, but there has been so itchyness with the sea salt moisturiser.

Now that is interesting. . . I used to spend the summer at my Nana's seaside home as a girl - and my ecsema would improve dramatically :D - until I returned to dirty old London :( . . . so sea salt products,hmm.

I have suffered from horrific psoriasis during this pregnancy (some of you may remember me asking for facial moisturiser advice a while back), and my GP recommended dead sea salt products, and they have worked wonders for my skin and scalp. Boots stock dead sea salt products, and honestly, I significant diffference within a few days. I started to use it on Owens eczema as well, and it's fantastic. E45 seems to make his skin itchier before it improves, but there has been so itchyness with the sea salt moisturiser.

Now that is interesting. . . I used to spend the summer at my Nana's seaside home as a girl - and my ecsema would improve dramatically :D - until I returned to dirty old London :( . . . so sea salt products,hmm.

me too (not my nana but being at the seaside), i just never made the link untl you just said! I just assumed it was the sun that was making it better.

Funny you say that, because i used to think that 'dirty old' Edinburgh was to blame for both owens eczema and my occasional psoriais, but both have been much worse since we moved to the clean air of the country. Sun does have a fantastic effect on both our skins, but nothing as quick or as effective as the dead sea salt moisturiser. :D

You can get scrubs for the shower, and tubs of the salt that you just chuck in the bath, but they really make my skin worse - too rough for sensitive skin I think! the moisturiser is lovely and soothing though, as is the mud mask you can get for your scalp.

I need to be careful with the pennies but i am going to have to try a few of these products that have been recommended.

I'm not sure of ...this... company, but I have three samples of their stuff (dry skin relief face cream, dry skin relief face wash, and a moisturiser), if you want them I will pop them in the post to you.

You can also get samples from the website :D

I was talking this morning to a friend, whose young son of a year old has dreadful psoriasis. The doctors just don't know what to do about it, so I suggested some of the things that we have found helpful. Fingers crossed that it helps, he is a tad hyperactive too, so she's looking at what he eats to see if anything in his diet could be causing it.

Have you tried Earthbound organics? Very reasonably priced and fantastic to use. They have a website so you can view the products. Totally organic and chemical free. Also we use soap from '1 village' that does not dry the skin out and so you don't need to use moisturiser. A double bonus.