Guest Poet

eczema homeopathic remedies anyone?

not looking for sympathy just help and advice please :( I don't want to moan as, compared to some people's problems, it's miniscule but I need some advice please.

my eczema is driving me insane! I have it all over me in patches but the worst is having it on my face and around my eyes as i can't use hydrocortisone/betnovate on my face and the skin on my hands is so thin it cracks constantly and is so sore and painful (not to mention itchy).

I really don't want to keep using hydrocortisone as it's making my skin thin and not really clearing it up anyway AND I can't use it on my face. E45 cream has never worked for me and the doc has given me all sorts of different creams and potions but none work and some make it worse.

I use dove soap and shampoo as it's the only one that doesn't leave me wanting to tear my skin off.

But, can anyone recommend some homeopathic remedies that actually work, especially ones I can use on my face and around my eyes to relieve the itchiness and soreness!!!?

Facial eczema - round the mouth and eyes is usually caused by an allergy, possibly food, pets, make-up. I have tried homeopathic remedies several times and been admitted to the homeopathic hospital as a child and adult. Each time my skin has become worse - which is the whole point, it gets worse before it gets better, but on the last occasion they told me it could be worse for up to 8 weeks. Working as a midwife at the time, I couldn't afford the time off work so resorted back to the steroids.

If I were you I would use a little steroid cream/ointment on my face for 2 or 3 days only - should be enough to reduce the irritation/inflammation and won't cause side-effects for this short period of time.

As you know prolonged use can cause side-effects - but we're talking weeks, months, and in my case years!.

i've had it on and off for years fee. Was very bad when i lived with my parents but they always had cats and when i moved out, it was much better. I'm allergic to anything with hair or fur, hence we've always had birds as pets.

I even have to keep my own hair off my face as much as possible! Haven't worn make up for quite a while, can't stand the feel of it on my skin, hope it's not the eggs! :shock:

It's flared up again recently but much worse than ever, i wonder if it's anything to do with my new meds?

Don't really want to use anything harsh on my face as I have done before and don't want what has happened to my hands, to happen to my face/eyes.

thanks for the advice anyway.

Edited by Guest

I use dove soap and shampoo as it's the only one that doesn't leave me wanting to tear my skin off.

I can empathise - I had dreadful ecsema as a young woman in England :(

As I understood it, fundamentally, the balance between new skin cells forming & old skin cells being discarded, is out of whack. Therefore, I used coal tar soap (if you can still get it?). In excess, coal tar is a carcinogen - but, in essence, this is the physiological response you are trying to tweak - shift the balance more to new cell formation. Sounds scary, but I had a lot of success with it. :)

What really knocked it on the head though, was moving to a different climate - have not had an outbreak in 18 yrs here in Utah :D I realise this may not be a very convenient solution for you. . . :wink:

But, can anyone recommend some homeopathic remedies that actually work, especially ones I can use on my face and around my eyes to relieve the itchiness and soreness!!!?

I am afraid there are homeopaths by the dozen, ready to do a resection of your current account - the only consistent effect noted in double-blind-placebo-controlled studies :evil: - but I do understand how crazy-desperate the endless itching makes you feel! Hang in there girlfriend & good luck!

BTW did you here about the homeopath who forgot to take his meds?

Died of an overdose. . . :wink:

I can totally sympathise with you, as a fellow eczema sufferer. I use Aveeno Bath oil for showering it can be used for baths as well. For more natural ideas if you have baths. Is to put oats into a pair of tights and hanging them on the tap as you run the water is supposed to help. Or sea salt. Like you I've found E45 rubbish but have found that Diprobase is better but not great if your skin is really aggravated. I also suffer from cracked hands and the doc reccomended super glue. :shock: I can't bring myself to try it. I use cream and plasters instead. Do you have any tips? I've found that what I eat affects my eczema so it could well be your medicine aggravating it. Not sure what i've said will be much help. :roll:

Edited by Guest

I used to get really bad eczema as a child, andf now only have a patch on one leg. I take Starflower oil capsules (GLA) on alternate days and if it flares up then I smother it in Aloe Vera gel followed by Aloe Propolis cream, both from Forever Living.

It is so much better than it used to be. Cutting out any shower gels and shampoos containing SLS really helped. I now only use Faith in Nature products.

Hi, I suffer terribly from eczema. Like you it's all over and especially on my arms and hands. Over the past few months I have erradicated SLS sodium lauryl sulphate from all soaps, shampoos and detergents and although it has not removed my eczema it has dramatically improved it.

I know it's still there but it is not red and inflamed and not itchy at all. I'm sure this is not the route cause but it's certainly helped.

I refuse to use steroids and hydrocortisones as I find this just delays an attack. Now I find my eczema does not flare up as often.

Best of luck.

Sounds liek mine Sarah - I had it mainly on my hands as a child - they used to split and bleed. I was given steroid cream etc, which just thinned the skin to the degree that it now tears easily and is terribly wrinkled and aged.

In those days, they didn't have the information about SLS and other detergents to realise that it might be a cause/trigger. I'd worked out that detergents made it worse and always wore rubber gloves to do housework and washing up. removing detergents from my life as much as I can has made it far better (I suspect that I may have grown out of it to some extent too). I now only really get one patch on my left shin, which gets worse when I am stressed.

I now have a regime to keep it at bay, and so long as I manage to do it most of the time, it is much better.

Good luck with yours.

Hiya - I know this sounds really daft, but I had it terrible when younger. The doctor told me to drink plenty of 7up - no other brand, just 7up. It has something in which is excellent for ecsema! Oh and another thing is go to your local pet place / farmy store and get some udder cream. Meant for cows udders, but it is an excellent all purpose healing cream for humans too!

Hope you find the above of use!

Emma.x

i'm really grateful for all the advice, just been checking the ingredients on my dove shampoo and after 'aqua' it has that SLS thing! I'm going to start by replacing the things that come into contact with my skin with non SLS ones and see how that goes.

I've just had to smother myself in betnovate as i couldn't stand it any more :(

I've got to go and see to the girls but will have a thorough read of this thread later.

thans again!

I can't really suggest anything other than what everyone elso has been saying. I used to have awful eczema which was always worse in the winter, exposure to sunlight always helped me and I had a friens who had some kind of white light treatment for it but I don't think it comes cheap. I now just get is under one eye which doesn't look so good and gets commented on but it is so much better than when I was younger.

My flare ups were often hormone and stress related.

Noah had this terebly when he was a baby, was constantly on steriods and anti biotics, I gave up with all the medication in the end as none of it worked and I made my own, cleared it all up within a couple of weeks and it never came back. I made it for other people for a while and used to sell it even to my health visitor!

The reciepe is as follows if you want to give it a try:

What you need is the natural Shea Butter is a nataul oil based butter and its cheapest to buy in bags of broken chunks. stick a load in a bowl and sit that bowl in another bowl of boiling water (in the same way you melt down cocolate) also add coconut oil (also avaliable from that site) when cold its a solid and becomes a clear liquid when warm)

Let them melt down in the bowl of hot water then add a few drops of calendula oil, and some cold pressed olive oil (also on the site) pour it into a container and pop in the fride to solidify into a creamy paste and your good to go. You dont need to keep it in the fridge and its good for about 6 months.

Your approximate quantities are:

3/4 shea butter

1/4 coconut oil

1/4 olive oil

and a few drops of pure calendula

You can get pretty much all the ingredience you need here

http://www.akamuti.co.uk

Hi there

I am a newbie on this site,

I really think you might find some help with your problem on a web site I use, everyone is so helpfull on there, and lots of them are therapists.

Try asking for help on there I am sure some one will be able to advise you :wink:

When you get on the site forum page just scroll down to skin, hair and nails

http://www.healthypages.co.uk/forum/

This has been a great thread for me. My little boy has some eczema on his face. I've been trying to get hold of a product with Bee Propolis that I can use on him, so I am going to give the Forever Living website a go and see what they do.

I do know that honey/propolis is an excellent healer for many, many things. Neat honey was the only thing that cleared up my sore throat recently.

Good luck with your search Poet. It sounds a very painful experience for you.

I am reading this with interest as well

Dan gets quite bad eczema at certain times of the year, now being one of them

I think I will try some of the things suggested especially the Faith in Nature stuff, Clare I remember you mentioning this in the Grreen Living Section, I still haven't swapped all our shampoos etc, so busy at work :oops:

But I am running out of all those sort of things and need to do a big shop for them, so now wouldbe the perfect time to change.

I hope you find some relief Poet, I have seen Dan driven mad with this sometimes and he has to plaster himself with Betnovate :(

I hope it works for Dan - the itching can be sheer hell, can't it. I gett he Faith in Nature stuff from either Revital health food shop in Stratford or Ryton organics in Ryton on Dunsmore. Forever Living is sold through agents locally - one lady has a stall in the church at Deddington Farmers' market. I buy their Aloe Vera Gel, Aloe & Propolis cream and the Aloe Vera toothpaste. I think that Lesley also uses their products, so she may have the details of an agent nearer to you.