The first of many questions.

I bought a shower curtain (as I have read so many of you do) as a cover for my eglu run. I have stuck gaffer tape around the outside edge, now do I do more around the inside edge as well? The wind has been terrible around here, and has taken down one of my fence panels.

Another Q, how do you all secure the run to the ground? I have some tent pegs here. Any good?

Many thanks in advance,

Jeanne

Thanks you both for the advice. I think I will weight the run down for now.

I love your clear corrugated plastic Ain`t "Ooops, word censored!"ody Here. I have seen your pics before, and plan that for next winter (I have spent so much and haven`t even got a hen yet lol). Do you leave it on all year round, or just for the winter months?

You are all so inventive on here!

I know, it's a great place to pick up ideas isn't it!

I peg mine down with tent-pegs, this was more to stop Things lifting the side of the run, than because of high winds.

It's currently on what used to be a lawn, I tried lifting it at the weekend to add some more hemcore, and the grass has grown through the run skirt - there was no shifting it! So I don't think it will be blowing away.

I used to use**these**.

when the run was on grass. (You can get them at camping shops quite a lot cheaper)

They are quite good....until the ground dries out and then they just lift out.

A clever fox could nudge its way under I reckon.

Now that they are on slabs I weigh them down with boulders to stop it moving about and also to prevent the fox from dislodging it.

You are all diamonds with your help!

Now I have another question. Before I get my eglu, and weight or screw it down, where would you all say is the best place to site it? I have a largish garden, with a big area that used to be used as a dog run, but is now patio, I also have loads of lawn. Which is best, hard floor with wood chips, or grass?

My shower curtain is held on with clothes pegs clipped onto the run. This has worked well. They hold so tight that when we had a really bad gale, the shower curtain ripped and the pegs stayed in place. My runs are held down with railway sleepers. This also keeps the aubiose contained inside the run (mostly).

Before I get my eglu, and weight or screw it down, where would you all say is the best place to site it? I have a largish garden, with a big area that used to be used as a dog run, but is now patio, I also have loads of lawn. Which is best, hard floor with wood chips, or grass?

Things to bear in mind:

• how far do you want to have to walk to shut & open the eglu (and collect eggs!)

do you have light so you can see where you're going if it's far from the house

the grass in a run won't last more than few weeks :roll:

do you want the girls to have soil with bugs & beasties to dig about it

how will you clean out the run - power washer (hard floor better), raked & dug over (soil better)

Hope that helps. Perhaps others will have other ideas :wink: .

Thank you Ain`t (do you like your new name :wink: ) and Janty. I am definately trying the pegs first.

I am going to put the eglu on the slabs for all the good reasons you pointed out. Does everyone use wood chips that has the run on hard floor?

Sorry for all the Q`s :oops:

I used string, the bungee cords strained the plastic and it kept ripping. But pegs sound better - wish I'd thought of that :roll: Oh and you do have to be careful with string - one piece went missing - I'm sure one of them ate it! :shock:

Pegs it is then :D

Don't worry, we like questions :D . It's mostly what keeps the forum going after all :wink: .

I would think most people use hemcore or aubiose. Seem to be more absorbant and they definitely magic the poos away.

Where do I buy hemcore or aubiose from please?

Thank you, but none are near to me. Maybe I can get my local pet shop to order some in for me. They are usually pretty good as I have so many pets :shock: I managed to get the stuff that begins with A from the shop near to the place I bought my hens from for now.

I am sad to say that pegs didn`t hold up in my windy old garden. It has been really windy here, and the flipping fence panel came down again. I think I will price up corrugated plastic like yours Aint.

I think I will price up corrugated plastic like yours Aint.

I bought 2 x 2.5m panels at £6 each from B&Q. They're not very wide so you need two running parallel and overlapping. There is a much longer length but you'd probably have to cut it (if you can :? ) and you'd need a very long car to get it home :wink:.

Best thing I've ever bought for those birds :D . Strong gales for a week and they've not moved a bit (unlike the girls when there's a strong gust :lol: ).

WOW, that is much cheaper than I thought. I have the convertor on my run, so maybe 3 would cover it? My car is only a little Suzuki Swift. That size might fit in OK though.

I've got the converter too and only needed two. Just an idea, but why not take (or buy at the same time) some bungee ropes in case your boot doesn't close?

Here's the photos again just to show you - there is a gap at the end but I'm going to look out for some bendy perspex or something as the plastic still flaps loose.

2215734103_bc32a664ef.jpg

2216528126_f56b74c3d1.jpg