fletch

Drake's Penis Problems

A friend has an Indian Runner whose willy does not retract, its picking up dirt & generally is hard to keep clean. The duck is a rescue duck & he has no idea of its age. What recommendations if any can people give as to the best way to maintain the ducks quality of life eg cleaning etc?

Veternary advice was sought & the only option was amputation of its willy costing at least £250 with no guarantee of the duck surviving the aneasthetic due to insufficient backround of the ducks history eg age etc.

Is this the same drake on the Practical Poultry forum? - or is there another unfortunate one out there with a dangling appendage?

I think the advice on there was to keep it clean and lubricated and wait a while longer as it can take up to 2 weeks to retract. Apparently it can dry out/shrivel up and can be snipped off with a pair of scissors :shock: - something I would leave to the vets.

it will probs be like when two od my ducklings had prolapsa of the stomach, we were told to put KY jelly on it because it antiseptic and to try and ease the stomach in, dunno if this will work the smae however? but the KY will at least help with stopping infection