tara

Westie puppy

Hello l brought a westie puppy girl from a good breeder 3 weeks ago.When we brought her home she was fine no problems.Then 2 or 3 days in shes had so much diarrhea with the odd formed poo.Shes been to the vet and been wormed had antibiotics and ive now stoped her using the garden because l thought she could be eating somthing in the garden so we cleaned the decking and shes on there when she gose out side.Shes back at the vet he wants to see how she got on with the special diet.Shes other wise fine loads of energy loves her food and is always playing.You would not think theres a problem with her.The vet gives her a good check over.Its so frustrating as she was fine when we got her.I did change her food when l got her l was naughty l did not do it gratually but afder a day l changed it back again to what she was used to.There has been plenty of time to get over that and shes had so much chicken and rice.She also been on this stuff to thicken her poo up with no luck.I feel like im pulling my hair out and the vet is rubbing his hands together. :? Can any one offer me some advice?????

My dog has a very sensitive stomach and we spent quite some time finding a dried food to suit. When her stomach is very sensitive we use live yoghurt to try to rebalance the gut lining and have always found this works. I did go down the vet route to check that she didn't have anything seriously wrong but then the vet wanted to put her on a special diet and review her every month. Although she is insured, i didn't think this long term diet would be covered for life so I spoke to the breeder who I had always found to be very straight down the line and realistic and she told me to use the yoghurt and only go back to the vet if she looked ill, was continuously pooing or was underweight. I also spoke to Arden Grange who I use for dog and cat food and we settle on Lamb and Rice food which agrees with her - thankfully! It did take a couple of months to fine tune her diet but she hasn't had any problems for about three years now - touch wood! I also don't feed treats or table s"Ooops, word censored!"s as these could cause upsets. I hope your dog settles down soon!

Becka

I'm sorry your puppy is under the weather and causing you so much worry. Don't really have any practical advice to give you I'm afraid, just some moral support that I hope will help. We've got a 5 month old labrador pup and within days of getting her at the end of Oct she developed very bad diarrhoea and also started passing blood. She too had been fine for the first few days and had even passed her first vet checkup with flying colours. I rushed her back to the vets when she started to poo blood, they did give her antibiotics as a precaution but reassured us that this was not actually that unusual with new puppies and told us it can be quite distressing for them going to a new home for the first time and this results in the upset tummy. Mille's tummy did indeed settle down by itself after a week or so and the only time it ever relapsed was when we started to take her out for a walk, but that too settled once she got used to it. I do hope it will turn out to the same for your little pup. By the way we did initially feed her some dried food the vet supplied and now we just use dried puppy food we get at the supermarket as tinned food still doesn't agree with her. Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hi Tara, my westie has always had a dodgy tummy. If he eats anything other than his regular dry food he gets the squits :? Hopefully yours will settle down soon. If she is still eating, drinking and geberally behaving normally there is not much to worry about, just needs her diet sorting out.

Took her back to the vet today for the last jab and thank god she was given it.We saw a different vet he said he could do tests but to keep on with the diet she dose the odd formed poo so im keeping my fingers crossed.We have her on her food and nothing else not even a leaf to eat.Shes so bright and playful Shes on science plan id food from the vet at the moment.Thankyou for all your support its nice to know shes normal you just think all kinds.What do you all feed your dogs now???What is good food for a westie as been told they can have funny tummys??? :D

Tara I really would stick to whatever she has been fed by the breeder. This is what she's been used to. Having said that if the breeder was just someone with a one pet dog breeding then ignore that advice. Someone with several dogs breeding to show will have their dogs on the best possible diet for the breed and for that strain of the particular breed. Oh and make any changes gradually next time :lol:

Hope she's back to normal soon.

Hi Tara,

How lovely to have a new puppy - I love Westies, we used to have Cairns which are very similar.

It is very common for puppies to have diarrhea in the first few weeks of settling into a new home. It's a period of great stress for a little puppies body, they are away from their mum , completely new environment, new food, new routine, so it really isn't surprising if their tummy reacts in that way.

Hope things settle down soon! And have loads of fun with your pup.

Hi Tara, my westie has always had a dodgy tummy. If he eats anything other than his regular dry food he gets the squits :? Hopefully yours will settle down soon. If she is still eating, drinking and geberally behaving normally there is not much to worry about, just needs her diet sorting out.

Hi snowy can l ask what you feed your westie on. :D

(cube green)GNR(white chicken)(white chicken)(Bluebelle)PP(white chicken) and (green eglu)(brown guinea)(white guinea) and (green eglu)(duck)(white duck) and 6 ducklings (white duck)(duck)(white duck)(duck)(white duck)(duck)

Hi snowy can l ask what you feed your westie on. :D

Only cheapo Bakers complete Tara. He's had it as long as I can remember and seems to suit him. Any treats and he either throws up or gets the squits :roll: Luckily he is quite fussy and is not a foodie dog. He usually turns his nose up at anything else now! :lol:

What do you all feed your dogs now???What is good food for a westie as been told they can have funny tummys??? :D

How old is your puppy? When I got my dog from the breeder, he came with a diet sheet!! ':D' He was about four months old and was still on tinned puppy food - I was so glad when I could give that up six weeks later, it smelled horrible - and since being fully weaned he has had only SupaDog (lamb and rice), a dry dog food that I mix with a little water and a large spoonful of whatever else is in the 'fridge (tuna, cooked chicken, pasta, baked beans, live yogurt and when there is nothing else peanut butter). Tinned dog food is, I read somewhere, 85 per cent water.

He has two meals a day (two "high points" and less trouble with flatulence). His evening meal is usually mixed with a sardine - white dogs tend to have skin problems but a sardine a day seems to protect his skin.

I was warned that changing his diet would give him diarrhea (?spelling), so I don't change it. I always weigh the portion of SupaDog for each meal, so that I don't over-feed him by mistake, and he can still have treats.

Hope this helps.

Hi - we have a Westie too. She had diarrhoea when we first got her and the vet did a poo test and she had giardiasis which is very common in puppies - it's easily treated so you could ask the vet if that's what the problem might be. Sorry just saw this - Westies are the best!