feemcg

Mac needs to go!

Looks like I might need to get rid of my beautiful boy :cry: Last week he started charging at me every time I walked away from him, head down at ground level with his beak touching the back of my shoe. I thought it was funny and a bit strange, but asked about it on Pract. Poultry to see if he was doing it 'cos he liked me, or to chase me away.

This week it's getting progressively worse and I now dread letting him out in the morning as he attacks my feet and legs - this morning he was biting my ankles and holding on to my pyjamas - it was like a tug-of-war :roll: .

Putting him away tonight, he just kept going for me and when I shoved him away he kept having another go. A couple of times I pressed firmly on his back and pinned him down, but he wasn't deterred :evil:

Turns out, from the replies I've had that it's very common in hand-reared drakes, and a few people have had exactly the same thing...and had to get rid :( . It doesn't happen if you buy a mature drake from someone else, so basically it's my fault for 'taming' him - I wish I'd known.

How sad :cry:.

I hope that doesn't happen to us :shock:. It's hard to tell which ones are drakes when they are little un's though, and you can't just ingore them all in case they turn out to be drakes.

Tough one, if I where you if you decide to get rid of Mac I would try and rehome Mima with him, so they both don't get stressed out.

I would give him time though, its his first breeding season, he is probably just protecting Mima.

Hope you get things sorted.

xx

I wondered about Egluntine's suggestion of maybe sending him away for a few weeks but in one of my replies the girl says she sent her drake away to live with a farmer friend and even now (2 years later!) he attacks her when she goes to visit :shock: , and yet doesn't do it to the farmer (he's never seen anything like it!).

Haven't been out to let him out this morning as it's blowing a gale.

My OH has been 'dealing' with Mac over the weekend - letting him out the run, spending time in the garden with him etc. Mac was charging up to OH but stopping about a foot away, if he got closer than that OH chased him - basically OH was trying to intimidate him a bit so that he would be frightened to come too close. I feel rotten about this as I've encouraged him up to now, but I can't have him biting me - or anyone else for that matter!

Some of the time OH used the brush to shoo him away, so I've been out a couple of times this morning to see if there's any change. When I went down to the run to let the ducks out I had the brush in my hand and Mac came straight out and ignored me - don't know if he was too interested in eating the snow but that was a good start. I was out taking some pics and he was starting the head down charge, but stopping well short and walking away. Once in the chicken run he almost made contact with my ankle and I just shoved him briskly away - he just turned and walked away again, whereas before he would have come back for another go.

So looks like we might be able to sort this out - it means Mac can't be my cuddly boy any more :( , but it's better than getting rid of him. It's early days but we'll see how it goes.

Hi

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Drake :(

It's so sad when this happens,It must almost be like having one of your own children turning on you :?

Don't give up just yet, it might be to do with it being his first breeding season,Drakes can get very territorial at this time of year.

I am not sure if it is the same for ducks, but I did learn about how to deal with this situation with geese. It might be worth giving it a try.

First of all you must not allow him to force you to retreat.

As soon as he makes an aggresive move on you you must chase him off.

Don't stop as soon as he does, keep going keep moving him on just a bit more, you decide when the confrontation is over.

When you decide it's enough don't let him return to the other ducks and perform a triumph dance(with geese this involves a lot of head bobbing and neck stretching.

If he tries to do this, chase him again.

I am afraid in effect you have to humiliate him in front of his friends :twisted:

At the same time you don't want to alienate him from you, so when he is being tolerant of you give him treats pet him, even take him indoors away from the other ducks and give him fuss and cuddles if you can.

Like I say I don't know if this works for ducks, but apparently it does with geese.

Good luck, I would hate to have to part with our lovely duck so know how you feel

Carol

That's what I've been trying today - just been out to give the chooks their corn and he came for me a few times. I kept pushing and chasing him away until he finally retreated, and I could walk away without him charging.

If I take the brush he doesn't try anything but I don't want to resort to having to carry a brush round the garden every time I go out :roll: .

I'm not very good at doing the whole 'cruel to be kind' thing :(