Hi,

I have just put my Cube togetjer this morning ... now I know that chooks like a bit of ventilation ... but there are some BIG gaps all around it. Looking into the Cube through their door, I can see daylight at the bottom corners and it's obvious driving rain is going to come in at the top corners. :(:(

The roof isn't even flush with one of the side panels ... :cry:

I know there are comments on this forum about the bad design fault and leaks etc. but has anybody got any ideas on what Omlet are doing about it.

I shall email them and probably ring them as well ... but what are they likely to do with my complaint!

It's very disappointing .... I was so excited .... I don't want my chooks to die because they've been blown off their roosting bars ... (ok, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration ...)

Any advice gratefully received ...

Thanks, guys.

Karen :?:?

Hellooo,

Mine was put together by the OMLET guy & still there's erm . .much ventilation!!!!

My hubby is very clever with a sewing machine, working with leather, vinyl, tarpaulins etc so he is going to make me up a wind cover/blind that can roll or fold down in sections then can be folded back up etc As we're right up onto of a hill, so its quite blustery here anyway .

I shall take measurements of cube & extension & get designing my little wind break cover for those long winter nights or wind swept autumal days :)

teee heeee if it works i'll take a photo :D if not back to the drawing board!!!!

I was quite disappointed really, the cube is sooooooo expensive yet the quality doesn't match the price. Just wait til the chinese or japanese copy the design, they'll be mch cheaper in a few years time,..maybe eve months.

My neighbour came around and said there were some playhouses at TOYSRUS which would be much cheaper & do the same job ...hmmmm just what you want to hear!!!! So i showed her the poop trays, the egg bt & the moving roof . .still expensive though isn't it she said .. unfortunately i had to agree!!!

Ah well, we are enjoying them soo much . ..i put three huge tree stumps down & we all sat round drinking coffee & watching them go to beddy byes.

Ms Tilysmittenbyherchooks

PP PANDORA PP ADALHIA

PP ETHEL (Bluebelle) AGNUS

(Bluebelle) CORDELIA (white chicken) BODECIA

(cube green):shock:

The playhouse idea crops up from time to time MsTily.......it isn't really suitable. Too lightweight and not well insulated enough etc.

I understand that the cube is meant to be well ventilated, and that there are supposed to be widish gaps.....Gallina posted a picture somewhere.

Have your hens settled in?

Hello Egluntine,

Thank you - ah well that explains why the gaps :) yes they seem very happy - we peeked at them once they'd put themselves to beddy byes & they're all snuggled up together . Maybe i need to stop thinking they need to be cosy & warm as we do, maybe they like the elements naturally blowing around them .. .3 of them stayed outside this morning in the hailstones 8)

We're really enjoying them & what characters.

Great fun but what time wasters. .. .oooh i've watched them all afternoon after aswell as being in the run making interesting distractions for them, then sitting on tree trunk with cuppa . ..they have 2 new perches up now!!

Oh & popped two false eggs in the nest today,

both hubby & daughter had to look twice :)

Ms Tilylaughsatchooksalldaylong

PP PANDORA PP ADALIA

(white chicken) BODECIA (Bluebelle) CORDELIA

(Bluebelle) ETHEL PP AGNUS/ELSBETH?

(cube green):)

I know that someone else posted some pics showing the gaps on their cube saying that that was how they were supposed to be and that they would never have thought to have such big gaps if they had built it themselves - but Omlet put their cube together so they knew it was right :D:D

Hello Egluntine,

Thank you - ah well that explains why the gaps :) yes they seem very happy - we peeked at them once they'd put themselves to beddy byes & they're all snuggled up together . Maybe i need to stop thinking they need to be cosy & warm as we do, maybe they like the elements naturally blowing around them .. .3 of them stayed outside this morning in the hailstones 8)

Hello Ms Tily

Don't forget that hens have a much higher body temperature than we do, and don't like to be too warm. They suffer much more in hot weather than in cool, so adequate ventilation is important for their well being.

We all like to be warm and cosy, and like to think that are pets are too, but they are better off on the cool side.

Good Morning Egluntine,

Thank you, source of all sound information when needed, i really haven't done enough research, yet it makes perfect sense - nature is so self sufficient - not wanting to get into the Intelligent Design or Darwins evolving theory argument but of course each creature is naturally created perfectly for their surroundings, we've just domesticated the cats etc to suit & adapt to our way of life. . mine, all who love to be warm & cosy inside with us - i don't like leaving them out all night but dear hubby quite rightly reminds me " they wear a perfectly warm fur coat" I need to start thinking sensibly not emotionally :) chooks are meant to be out in drafty barn, farms & fields.

Feel a bit guilty now about having their wing clipped, i had it done for my convenience not theirs - yet they might need the use of their wings to jump over the cats or go up a tree to avoid a sneaky fox. Will the snipped bits ever grow back or once removed are they removed forever?

Well, i really ought to get dressed & go outside - brace myself & hose down all pooh covered bits . . .hmmm maybe just one more coffee :)

actually weather forecast is dire, so really should do it before weather changes as its nice & dry & clear at moment.

Ms Tilyenjoyingherchooks

(white chicken) BODECIA (Bluebelle) CORDELIA

PP ETHEL (Bluebelle) AGNUS/ELSBETH

PP PANDORA PP ADALIA (cube green):D

Good Morning Egluntine,

Thank you, source of all sound information when needed,

3.gif Steady on old thing....you'll have me blushing!! :lol::lol:

but dear hubby quite rightly reminds me " they wear a perfectly warm fur coat"
He's right.....they do! :lol:

Feel a bit guilty now about having their wing clipped, i had it done for my convenience not theirs - yet they might need the use of their wings to jump over the cats or go up a tree to avoid a sneaky fox. Will the snipped bits ever grow back or once removed are they removed forever?

They will grow back after their first big moult. :lol:

Don't expect to get much done this weekend MsTily.....you won't be able to tear yourself away from your new babies! :lol:

Dear Egluntine,

AHEM . .cough cough . ..do i sound THAT old .. hey I'm just a wee young chick ..

well youngish . .i mean there's a 4 & a 2 involved or is it a 4 & a 3 , of course it could be either way around .. huh is that old ? :)

correction . .steady on young thing . .ah yes now that sounds much better

You blush away dearest one, you've been an invaluable source of much information for me, for your knowledge & wisdom shared I'm grateful!!

Now we're trying to decide best way to remove poop without me wretching :o oooh'er . We haven't a compost bin, so looks like bagged up carried down bottom of garden to pop onto our grass cuttings etc discovering that our powerhose isnt working so i guess its a bucket hot boiling water couple drops of ecover & a scrubbing brush.

That'll be tomorrow then!!! Now for cooked breaky i think . .after all that hard thinking & watching chooks

Ah my beautiful warrior queen Cordelia keeps closing one eye, what does that mean? It looks okay as far as i can tell.

My white one, Bodecia, cam walking along perch this morning to say hello .she looks you straight in the eye & stares tilts her head & loves you talking to her.

she's looking a bit grubby now, how did they manage to keep her lovely & white?

Ooh dear do i have to wash the chickens?

still its going to rain cant she stand out in it ;?

Ms TilymakingcookedbreakfastMsTilyshouldnt'veforgottenrubbergloves

PP PANDORA PP ADALIA

(Bluebelle) CORDELIA (white chicken) BODECIA

(Bluebelle) AGNUS/ELSBETH PP AGNUS

(cube green):)

I have just put my Cube togetjer this morning ... now I know that chooks like a bit of ventilation ... but there are some BIG gaps all around it. Looking into the Cube through their door, I can see daylight at the bottom corners and it's obvious driving rain is going to come in at the top corners.

The roof isn't even flush with one of the side panels ...

We put ours together a couple of weeks ago. It was a bit of a struggle to be honest in getting some of the pieces to fit so that the holes lined up - we had to force it a bit (and my OH is an engineer - or so he keeps reminding me!!) :? And there are a few gaps but as per the previous posts that's OK.

But now it's done I'm really pleased with it (although it has no inhabitants yet, but hopefully when it does they'll be pleased too!).

I (sorry WE) put mine together this Wednesday, I also thought it looked a bit draughty (blamed DH for not pushing the front panel as far back as it could go re the instructions!) but when I look in through the pop hole I can see daylight above the poo trays, is this correct?

My 3 ex batts that I rehomed last April, have now all decided to sleep in the nest section, I am wondering if this is because it is less draughty?

I'm sure they are fine, but I too like them to be toasty!!