I will have my first cube cleaning session over the next week, and I wondered how other people tackle this job?

I obviously have already done my (every two day) poop scoop sweep, it's the general overall clean I'm interested in.

I would be interested to know if people use a pressure washer, or a hose or a scrabbing brush etc..... Also how long should I leave to do this job. Does it take ages?

Is there any advice you can pass onto a newby?

Do I need to dry it afterwards?

Is there anything I should buy to make this job easier?

I brought two sets of roosting bars (although one is already broken :( job for hubby at weekend :D ), we also have a pressure washer, but have read on here somewhere they can damage the roosting bars, is this correct?

Have you tried different ways and find one way easier? or is there only one way?

Do you take the whole thing apart, or just the roof and the back?

Any help welcomed... This is the job I am least looking forward to :? I guess we all feel that way!!!!!???? Or does it become a pleasure?

One last thing, what do you do with the chickens while your cleaning, shut them in the run? Do they mind getting splashed?

Thanks so much

Michelle

This is the job I am least looking forward to :? I guess we all feel that way!!!!!???? Or does it become a pleasure?

One last thing, what do you do with the chickens while your cleaning, shut them in the run? Do they mind getting splashed?

I loathe housework, but I really love cleaning my Eglu, I actually look forward to it :shock::shock: I haven't got a Cube but the principal is the same I should think. Fill a tubtrug with water from the hose put in a few drops of pet safe disinfectant, put roosting bars in to soak, I also have spare set of bars)

empty poo tray into compost. With a hose I blast away at all the grey plastic bits and poo tray until clean. In the summer it all dries in the sun, but in winter I use an old towel to dry it. I do find the nesting box in the Eglu a pain

as the water pools in it and doesn't all drain away :evil: Put layer of Hemcore in poo tray and replace. Dust spare bars with red mite powder and replace. Fill nesting box with shredded paper, replace hood... Voila!!

I then scrub the roosting bars in the tubtrug until clean, hang in shed to

dry. I can do it all in 15 minutes.

Tessa

Ihave a cube and Ifind it pertty straight forward to clean. I line the poop trays with newspaper which twice a week I remove and replace. I fully clean once a week I just use a washing up bowl with a little washing up liquid and water and a scourer sponge. take the roosting bars out and scrub the inside of the house (it doesnt require much scrubbing it all just falls away and runs out through the slots in the bottom. Then I have an attachment for the end of my hose which is like a gentle pressure washer I use this on the roosting bars and it blasts off the lumps and also on the poop trays. Anything more stubborn on the roosting bars I hack at with an old garden knife. I leave them standing for a bit to dry and then put it all back together with a puff or 2 of mite powder. Thats it. The girls stay in the run and just wander over here and there to see whats going on and drink bits of the water.

I'm with you Tessa - it's not a chore to clean the Eglu! :lol: I'd rather do it than housework any day!

I don't have a Cube yet, but my routine is pretty similar to yours - take it apart, s"Ooops, word censored!"e any solid poo off the roosting bars, and scrub with a brush and some Ecover washing-up liquid. Blast everything else with the hosepipe, it's not a pressure washer just an ordinary hose.

Dry off - I agree about the nesting box, I usually just add some hemcore to soak up any residual water. Dust with Diatom, and re-assemble. I can do both Eglus in half-an-hour, so I'm hoping when I get the Cube it will take less time overall.

That's so good, thank you so much for your help, you have made the whole thing sound easy. I may give this a try at the week end, when hubby has sorted the hose out!

Re: The Hemcore, is it better to use that? I have not been using anything, as the poop goes in the compost and was unsure if it would compost down! What is the purpose of this?

Many Thanks

Michelle

Hemcore (or aubiose) helps to keep the run floor dry - it soaks up poo, keeps smells down, and stops the run turning into a total mudbath when it rains. Lots of use it, and swear by its magical poo absorbing properties! I also use it in the nesting box, and in the poo tray as it stops poo from sticking and helps it to slide out more easily.

It is just like straw - it composts down very easily.

I'm feeling very smug today as I powerwashed my eglu :D

But normally all I do is put the droppings into the composter- I line the tray with newspaper to make it easy, & also compost the nest box shredded paper. I scrub my roosting bars, & replace them with my spare set, re line the poo tray & dust around some red mite powder.

Doesn't take long- 5-10 mins.

About once a month :oops: or perhaps once every three months more likely I take the run off & powerwash the whole lot inside & out.

I suggest geting an old kagoul & some waterproof leggings for this powerwash job to keep the muck off you!