kackness

A Lone Hen

They really do need other birds hens around them as they are flock animals. Lone hens can get very depressed and the prozac bill alone will cost you a fortune! :wink:

edit - just noticed your post about her not wanting to leave the eglu. This could be the start of depression. Chickens are natural foragers and should spend a large proportion of the day scratching around looking for food.

Same opinion here. Get a couple more bantams - there is loads of room in the eglu and run for just three. And your lone hen will probably be so happy to have new friends that introductions should be very easy. Get a couple of pullets around 4-5 months old (if you can find any this time of year) - your girl will thank you for it!

i was pondering this thought last year when my sam died leaving a lone Ella.

After advice on here I got 3 more friends for her and she changed literally overnight from a sad mopey chook to a perky happy one. :D

I would definitely recommend getting at least 2 pals for your lone chook. I think 3 hens are a good starting point then if one does die again you still have a pair. Of course if you have bantams you could always get more! :wink:

I have two bantams looking for a new home, as it happens, but it might be a long way for you to come if you are south of the river. They settled in well with my wyandotte bantie but then turned a bit aggressive when I tried to add my two new pekins. Things are improving now I have them housed in a separate ark, but I think it would be a bit cramped and stressful with all 5 of them in the eglu run so they have to go, regrettably :(

When Bracken our grey bantem became a lone hen, she seemed to cope well but she looked so lonely pecking about the garden on her own and so we got the two Light Sussex to keep her company. To be honest I haven't seen much change in her behaviour but at least she has a couple of friends to share her garden. She still goes to bed in her own house even though she could share Gert and Daisy's house.

Just to let you know that we got a partner for our bantam and now she's back to her old self kickin and scratchin around happily. We're going to take your advice and get at least one more to keep her company. Thanks for your help everybody.

Thats great news! :D you almost notice a change in their behaviour immediately dont you? she'll be a lot perkier now.

Bracken continues to keep Gert and Daisy in order. It is so amusing to watch because she is such a little hen and they are huge (standard) Sussex Lights. Every now and then she gives them a peck on the head if they get out of line. It is like watching a mum with her two wayward daughters, even though they are not related.

We are getting between 2 and 3 eggs daily now which is wonderful. I gave some to my neighbour in the week and she was thrilled. There are few things that can beat a true free range egg. :)