Chili

Gape worm

Shaking of the head, miserable appearance, loss of appetite and condition, gaping, sometimes coughing and a rattly chest that can be confused with a chest infection.

Flubenvet will treat it successfully....although double the normal dose is required, and an egg withdrawal of a week after the end of the treatment is recommended.

Mavis had Gape Worm last month. As well as the gaping and shaking of head, she also stretched her neck upwards every time she took a breath, as it progressed during the morning she then had the rattling, rasping sound as well.

As Egluntine said, double the dose of flubenvet - I did normal dosage twice a day. My vet said it could take up to a week to completely clear but that humidity would help her shift the worms from her throat, so Mavis moved into the bathroom for about 36 hours and I kept running the shower to really steam the room up. It seemed to work a treat as she was back to normal after three days.

Nicola

:) Excellent description & advice.

Just to add; hens sometimes stretch & gape briefly in normal swallowing so don't be worried if they do this a couple of times & then behave normally, happy & active.

Trust your instincts if the gaping behaviour continues as swift treatment is needed.

But, don't be concerned about an occasional "yawn".