buffie Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Yes Kate, I haven't a problem as they've been around for the life of the forum but quite right if they annoy or confuse (I don't mind at all) then it can be changed I suppose. BBx Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Yay! Half the time I don't even understand text speak! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Goosey Lucy Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Kate said If no one objects, it might be worth us compiling a little list of these abbreviations and putting them in the How to use the forum section? I had to ask my other/better(?) half to explain lots of abbreviations. A section in the How To thread would be helpful. I was ever so lost to start with Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted April 24, 2008 Author Share Posted April 24, 2008 I've started a fledgling dictionary here. I hope it helps . Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 It's like the horrid one that Te$co had saying 'Helping you to save money everyday' Arrrgghh! They're certainly NOT helping you save money - they want you to spend it in their stores. and it's EVERY DAY... two seperate and distinct words! did you mean separate Clare? Honestly, these spelling mistakes drive me nuts! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Whatever Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Whatever oh dear Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 (edited) OH - Other Half DH - Darling Husband DS - Darling Son DD - Darling Daughter DS1 2 3/DD1 2 3 - Darling Son 1, 2 or 3 etc/Darling Daughter 1, 2 or 3 etc SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed ROFLMAO - Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A** Off Edited April 24, 2008 by Guest Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 ROFLMAO Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted April 24, 2008 Author Share Posted April 24, 2008 * = ankles? armpits? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Like your style Kate Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
crazygal Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Thank goodness for this topic! Hear hear from here too!! I can't (be bovvered to! ) read posts in text speak either! On the subject of mis-spellings and grammar, I used to be driven mad by a van in my street that had written on the side "no job to small" arrghh I really wanted to add a "o" to it, we moved instead cu l8er Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 * = ankles? armpits? I know what that looks like but surely it couldn't be referring to anyone on here! After all, it's such a friendly forum. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fairy&cake Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 I do not like text speak. Even when i had a mobile phone, which i don't now, i hated it. I hate mobile phones anyway, but text speak is the worst! Whats the point in it on the computer, it doesnt cot you more to write a longer message, its just pure lazy! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickweed Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Kate, I am so glad you raised this issue. I don't mind the odd spelling mistake or grammatical error, but text speak irritates me so much that I can't be bothered even trying to understand it. Like Egluntine, I thought it was my age. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cate in NZ Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 I'm another in full agreement , I simply don't read most posts in text speak, I don't understand why anyone should expect me to put that much effort into reading something they've written . I have no problems with the odd spelling mistake or grammatical error, have to admit that much of the time I think faster than I can type so have made some dreadful typos, and I guess that we're all prone to mistakes along those lines, but I can't think of a single defense for text speak. Sorry. Maybe it's my age as well Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickweed Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Like Egluntine, I thought it was my age. Sorry Egluntine, I meant Claret Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Paola Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 I agree also Even when I text I do it all in full so to speak. I use predictive text on my phone, which takes no time at all Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ziggy Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Predictive text never seems to predict what I actually want to type... I find it a pain... Maybe I am just an impossibly unpredictable person Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Paola Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Predictive text never seems to predict what I actually want to type... I find it a pain... Maybe I am just an impossibly unpredictable person If the word that comes up is not the one you are after you can scroll to find the correct one. I hope that makes some sense Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 Oh dear, one will really have to watch her P's and Q's from now on! I don't mind typing the correct words at all, but if I slip up on spelling & get pulled up for it - then it's not going to seem such a friendly forum. gtg Emma.x Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fairy&cake Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 * = ankles? armpits? I dont understand Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 * = ankles? armpits? I dont understand yeah, let's have an explanation, I look forward to it reminds me of that joke about the cat and the pencil sharpener Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted April 24, 2008 Author Share Posted April 24, 2008 Fred posted an abbreviation - ROFLMAO with the description "rolling on the floor laughing my a** off. I was guessing the "a**". Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fairy&cake Posted April 24, 2008 Share Posted April 24, 2008 I you trying to say she has Kankles? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...