pbfhpunk

fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally!! - pictures on 2

Oh My God!!!

Finally got my chickens after a very long wait!

To put it in prespective (especially for the old timers!) I first wanted an eglu when you had to have been a customer to come onto the forum and got 7 day access if you weren't!

I used to live in an end terrace in an ok area but not the type of place I'd want an £350 chicken house plus chickens and eggs in the yard! So when my boyfriend (now husband) looked to sell it and move a year ago it was crucial we had a garden big enough to have chickens that was my only criteria, we ended up renting the most amazing house in a lovely village in Warwickshire and we made sure our landlords would let us have chickens, we finally got a cube on the 14th and I've had lots of false starts getitng the chickens, until some awesome members here gave me a top tip of the Domestic Fowl Trust (DFT)so off we went this morning and a fair bit of cash later we now have 2 speckledys, a black rock, a rhode island red and most wonderful of all 2 gorgeous bluebelles!! I'm so happy especially as yesterday the DFT said they hadn't got any bluebelles left!

They have settled in so well and like most of you all I've done all day is sit on the grass and just watched them and took loads of pix which I'm just uploading so will add to this thready shortly!

Thanks so much for all the tips and I'm so happy (could almost cry) to have finally joined the chicken owning forum members!!

Helen

Edited by Guest

thanks peanut I will give that some thought, although I was trying to get all three girls from the same breeder today, so they settled together, great plans never work out for me.. :lol: dont know how they would settle if I went and got another that they didn't know, these two were together at the farm.

still green with envy about helen having TWO bluebelles.. :lol: would love to see pictures! :)

Hi Helen

You have bought a tear to my eye - I am so soppy its unreal :roll:

You sound like you have had an amazing day. I waited years for my chooks and I know how you feel. They are the best animals I have ever had, and they give so much. Just wait until you get your first egg! you will be beside yourself :lol: We all do the egg dance round the garden with the tiny warm egg on our cheek! Mad crazy chook lovers! Enjoy every minute :D

Thank you all so much for your congrats, and yes the bluebelles are gorgeous.

I do have one problem though, one of the speckledys seems to have developed , in the very short time we've had her, to have developed a crush on my husband!! I don't blame her, but it's so obvious right in front of me she just stares at him and when he goes back in the house she paces back and forth looking for him through the window and just when we've gone to put them to bed they all were in the cube except her who decided she wanted to roost on the glu! so we had to sort of push her off and she wouldn't go into the cube, so we opened the door and my husband called her and she came straight over to him, let him pick her up and drop her into the cube through the egg port!! Such a little tart!

Pix on way, promise!!

:lol: sat here laughing at her swooning over your husband, I love speckledys aswell to be honest, they were all gone today aswell :cry:

So you have a rival of the speckled variety.. could be worse.. :lol::wink:

I will wait patiently for the pictures.. can I be an auntie??? :lol:

These aren't the best photos as they're still a bit skitty! - also different sizes as some were taken with my phone and some with a digital camera

All 6

2442926063_9d0ed919eb.jpg

Ok here are the 2 Bluebelles

2443323513_99a4fcd8ac_o.jpg

the 2 Speckledys - the little tartlet is on the right, I think she's the youngest chicken of all as has the smallest sign of a comb and also has feathers on her feet still

2442921391_86cc10f363.jpg

Rhode Island Red and Black rock

2443741702_cd61854e13.jpg

Helen

Yes you can be an auntie!! they are very cute, we've picked a couple of names but just waiting for the others personality to come out.

Helen

aw thanks :lol: they are all gorgeous but the bluebelles are stunning, I love the bluebelles with some brown fleathes, so cute!..

oh so theres the little tartlet, cant wait to here about her future batting of eyes at your husband.. :lol:

when my son selected his, what the breeder called a 'rhode rock', there were others that had a lot more brown feathering than Cocoa, and they looked like the black rock you have, so I am wondering what indeed cocoa is.. :lol: .. love is what she is.

Not that I am biased, but lovely chickens (as you know mine also came from DFT) - my bluebelle is still my favourite, and you will get a mix of egg colours with these as well (cream, mid-brown & dark brown).

I am glad all is going well.

Tracy