Richard and Jo

Hens and Kestrels & other birds of prey

A Kestrel caught a small starling right outside our front window this morning and proceeded to pluck it alive in front of us - we decided to leave it alone as it is nature in action - a bit grim though. I think a chicken would be too big for a Kestrel. Our neighbours said they saw a sparrowhawk take a wood pidgeon form their garden.

Has anyone had any attacks from above on their chickens?

Thanks LJ for tracking down those threads about raptors and hens :D:D:D

LJ is absolutely right about full grown hens being at no risk from the common British raptors. They may run for cover if they see one, some do the same with kites overhead :roll: , but this is an instinct and they are in no danger at all :D

Something very large swooped down today at my girls in the garden. :?

They both gave a very loud squawk and it just flew away as quick as it came. I don't know what it was. Brown is all I can say and big :roll:

Is it possible it was a Great Bustard? (no funny comments please!) They are being re-introduced, I think and the numbers are increasing.

We have a Sparrowhawk who likes to come visit and sit on our beanpoles. I always know when he's around because it goes completely bird-silent outside - no chooks, budgies in the neighbours aviary, wild birds: nothing. the girls stand stock still and stare at him staring at them. then he takes off and thats that. Gorgeous bird, though, really magnificent!

I have recently joined the forum and have just come across the comments regarding the problem with Raptors etc.

With reference to the Kestrel and the Starling - I doubt it was a Kestrel, because it is only about twice the size of a Starling, so would have difficulty making a kill. they occasionally chase small birds like Blue Tits but their normal diet is small insects and voles which is why you see them hovering by the side of roads etc.

The perpetrator is more likely to have been a Sparrowhawk. I had one take a Starling in my garden last year and then stayed for almost an hour while it plucked then ate it :shock: . Admittedly a bit gruesome, but it is natural - at least for them! (I do have photographs if you would like to see them).

The only raptors, in this country, that could be a threat to Chickens would be the larger Eagles or Owls (e.g. Golden or White Tailed Eagle or Eagle Owl)

Most of the other raptors - kites and buzzards are mainly carrion eaters.

How sad do I sound :( - but that's what happens when you have an interest in birds :!:

You'd get on well with my hubby Paul.

He loves birds and spends hours looking at them out of the kitchen window! Give him birds ovr football any day :)

We get regular visits from Sparrow hawks here, and have recently had a family of Jays move in. Lovely looking birds, but aren't they spiteful! I'm sure I saw them pinching something from a nest the other day...hope it wasn't an egg :?

I'd agree with the bird being a sparrow hawk, after seeing them act up in our garden, they are rather fierce, but I've never seen a wild kestral close up so have no idea what they are capable of really :roll:

With reference to the Kestrel and the Starling - I doubt it was a Kestrel, because it is only about twice the size of a Starling, so would have difficulty making a kill

It was a Kestrel - the starling was a baby but was still over half as big as the Kestrel It couldnt lift it so half flew and half dragged it. I took a couple of pictures but dont know how to post them

We have two owls in our garden. We live sort of on the edge of the country, but the adjoining gardens and ours are all surrounded by trees. I know we have a barn owl as I have seen it on our roof and seen it's lovely shaped white face. But we hear another one too. One does the usual twit twooo, the other just sort of a screech sound. I was worried they were hanging round the garden because of the chooks! Chooks are in run, but it still worries me!