Suzie

What do you feed your chooks?

I've had my ex-batts for nearly a week now and have been feeding them on a mix of layers mash and the omlet layers pellets (more mash than pellets). I've only been giving them very very small amounts of treats in the evening, because I want to make sure that they eat enough of the mash/pellets, but will increase and vary the treats once they get used to the pellets. They also have access to grit all day and fresh water (although I am going to get some Organic Cider Vinegar to add to their water)

However they don't seem to be eating all that much and we got our first softie egg today. People on here say that they feed their chooks "layers porridge" in the morning. If you do this do you still give them access to pellets/mash during the day or is the porridge instead of this?

We got the layers pellets when we got our omlet girls (who we lost to a fox :cry: ) and the leaflet said that the pellets contained all the chickens needed, but have read that people add add stuff to their pellets/mash to give them extra calcium etc

Our chickens being ex-batts have lots of feather to regrow - would tuna be good to give them for extra protein?

So what do you feed your chooks :?:

Hello Suzie.

Mine have access to layers mash all day with added limestone flour as one of mine is prone to thin shelled eggs (when she is laying :roll:)

The limestone flour is more readily absorbed than oyster shell for calcium.

They get a bowl of mash 'porridge' in the afternoon which is just mash and warm water, chopped courgette and tinned sweetcorn.

I hang up a bunch of perpetual spinach (grown especially for them :roll:) 3-4 times a week and maybe the odd handful of mixed corn.

They sound really spoilt now! :lol::lol::lol:

edit - tuna would be wonderful to help with their feather re growth.

Thanks Christian. I like the idea of giving them the porridge in the afternoon ( I get up early enough as it is) I'll try them on some layers porridge tomorrow with some tuna (sounds delightful doesn't it)?

I bought some limestone flour and some garlic powder from an equestrian supplier yesterday. (We had another softie egg this morning. I've done a search on here but probably not very well as I can't find out how much flour or garlic powder to add to their feed.

The directions on the back on the packets are for horses not chickens! Also realised that the garlic powder is extra strength - will that be OK?

Thanks for any help.

(although I am going to get some Organic Cider Vinegar to add to their water)

:

Suzie, you need to buy Apple Cider Vinegar from a Horsey type shop, not from a supermarket. It is a tonic given to Horses although it is benificial to chickens.

I have never seen organic apple cider vinegar.

The Omlet shop sells organic apple cider vinegar. However I got some from a horse shop yesterday which I've used. I'd like to feed our chickens as organically as possible but the cost mounts up.

I feed two scoops of layers pellets to one scoop of mixed corn they doo seem to like teh mix they do also free range all day

Hi Slim, I think that might be a little too much mixed corn? I read on here somewhere that it is hard for them to digest and though it is a favourite treat should be given sparingly maybe a handful a week between 2 chooks.

I have cut right back as mine would eat it all day if they could! :shock::D

Sarah xx

Suzie, I give mine limestone flour - I add about 1 scoop to a grub-ful of pellets. Probably start with a scoop and see if it solves the soft-egg problem, if not then increase the amount a bit.

I use about the same amount of garlic powder, again try starting with a scoop, and if you think the poo is still too smelly, add some more. It's a very inexact science keeping chickens! I just use horsey-type garlic powder, I've got no idea what strength it is, but I don't think they can overdose on it.

Glad your girls are settling in a bit, and will fill the space in your empty run.

someone told me that cuttlefish was good for extra calcium so I bought some and grate it into the pellets.

We have tuna in oil so when I drain off the oil I throw that in with the pellets too to help lubricate the crops (and was told it's good for feathers & skin)

Used eggshells washed out, baked in the oven for 10 mins and ground up added to the feed is a really economical way of getting more calcium into them - cured our softy eggs

I feed two scoops of layers pellets to one scoop of mixed corn they doo seem to like teh mix they do also free range all day

Hi Slim, I think that might be a little too much mixed corn? I read on here somewhere that it is hard for them to digest and though it is a favourite treat should be given sparingly maybe a handful a week between 2 chooks.

I have cut right back as mine would eat it all day if they could! :shock::D

Sarah xx

I don't think that that is too much corn...it's vaguely the quantity I feed mine with. The bluebelles get about 1-2 scoops, (alpro soya yoghurt pots) of pellets, with about 3/4 of a scoop of corn.

Molly and Spice get about 1 + 1/2 scoops of layers pellets and about 1/4-1/2 of corn.

They then get grit mixed with this and fed a scoop of corn to share in the evening. They do free range all day though! :lol:

Mine get fed pellets,but yesterday-i bought a small 5kg bag of mash to see what they prefer.They've gone potty over it this morning and spent ages eating it,but they're messy girls and gotten it all over the run and down their chests! I keep a small bowl full of crushed oyster shell for them to take when they please.I do also add to their food (but not all at once!):Diatom,poultry spice,garlic powder and Verm-X.

Treat wise-i give them a handfull of corn per day plus they're freeranging so slugs,bugs and everything else inbetween is on the menu. :D

At the moment mine only get layers mash and whatever they find free ranging! Also aple cider vinegar in the water at 10ml per litre. They don't seem to touch the grit that I put in a seperate feeder, but after the first soft egg, I have had a daily supply of good eggs for a week now.

But I'll remember the tuna for when I get my ex-batts. They will get lots of care to make up for their previous life ( not that my present ones don't get any attention - just don't get many treats yet!)

my lot have the Organic feed company organic layer pellets - and they love them. :)

I also have the same brand mixed poultry corn - they go potty for that too - they have a handful between 4 chickens once in the afternoon/early evening before bed. They have a few meal worms (dried) and some chopped grapes as a treat.

As an add on to this thread, my chookies hated greens (apart from grass). I took some of the valuable advice from the forum members and boiled a load of cauli leaves and cabbage leftovers I had from dinner yesterday - and yep! They LOVE it! :D:D

Thank you for the tip as they wouldn't go near it before.

S xx