TESSANN

Flopsy ill, have to make a decision - RIP !

Hi there,

My little Flopsy seems to have a return of the problem she had a couple of months ago.

A lump in her abdomen which she expelled after the vet gave her a shot of oxytocin last time and she recovered completely. It was a horrible mangled up egg and stuff.

This time, symptoms seem the same, but the oxytocin hasn't worked, and she hasn't managed to expel the offending matter. She is managing to poo alot tho.

My dilema is do I have her put to sleep to put her out of her misery or do I hang on to where there is life there is hope.

Yesterday she was so poorly I had made my mind up that today I would take her to the vets and let her go quietly.

But today there seems to be some improvement although she has the lump, I reckon anyway, because she hasn't passed it.

She is worse than last time, I hate to see her suffer, and this is a horrible decision to have to make.

If the oxytocin was going to work, would it have worked by now - almost 48 hours now? Do I leave her till Monday in the hope of a recovery?

This is awful, I was hoping nature would quickly act best and let her go naturally.

Best wishes to you all and your girls, and boys of course.

Rosemary x

Edited by Guest

Sorry to hear that Flo is poorly again. It's a very personal decision. For me, it's not so much about whether they can hang on, but about whether they are suffering.

Human beings go through all sorts of horrible treatment in the expectation that we will recover, but you can't explain that to animals. The vet will be able to advise what her prospects are for the future.

I know from experience that when an animal becomes poorly, we don't always see the deterioration ... it's only afterwards, or if we compare them to other animals, that you realise how poorly they were. You will know when it's the right time.

Re: My Flopsy ill, have to make a decision - RIP !

Reply #2 - Today at 10:09am Flopsy is now at peace.

I decided the kindest thing was to check her out at the vets again and it was agreed the kindest thing for her was to have her put to sleep.

The vet was really nice. Tried to get a vein without much success but it seemed that Flopsy then decided enough was enough and passed peacefully away of her own accord.

She was unconcious which made it easier for the vet to inject her into her liver.

So my little, famous, Flopsy is no longer in pain.

She was a little sweetheart, completely featherless when she came out the battery cage, twelve months ago, she had a lovely twelve months, fully feathered and made fame in our local newspapers, hilighting the plight of battery chickens.

Thanks to all for their replies.

Best wishes to all and love your hens whilst you can

Rosemary xxx

You guys are great. Where would we be without the support of each other on the forum

Thank you all for your kind words.

Flopsy is now at rest, free from the terrible pain she suffered at the end, she is under the conifer in our garden where she used to like to sunbathe.

take care all

Love Rosemary xxx

So sorry to hear about Flopsy but you gave her 12 months of wonderful life she would not otherwise have had. I totally sympathise with you as we've just lost one of our hens. Better for her (and you) than suffering though.

Best wishes and sorry for your loss.

Ali