Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise........

2 Egg yolks.

Salt and pepper.

1/2 pint of olive oil.

Teaspoon of dry English mustard.

a squeeze of lemon juice.

1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar.

Put the yolks into a bowl with a pinch of salt and the mustard and beat well with a wooden spoon. Add the oil, literally a drop at a time, beating all the time. The mixture should be very thick by the time half the oil is added. Beat in the lemon juice, resume pouring in the oil, going more quickly now, but alternating the dribbles of oil with small quantities of vinegar.

Note; If the mixture curdles, another egg yolk should be beaten in a seperate bowl, and the curdeled mixture beaten into it drop by drop.

Edit - This looks as if I've ignored Nicola's recipe - it happened when this section was set up and recipes placed together!

Mayonnaise

1 egg yolk

50ml vinegar - I use Cider Apple Vinegar

half tsp honey

three quarter tsp Dijon Mustard

Pinch of salt

250 ml Light Olive Oil - or similar

Make sure there are no stringy bits on the egg yolk and then

mix in a small dish with the honey, mustard, salt and vinegar.

Pour into the food processor bowl and blitz, adding the oil in a

steady, thin stream.

Add more oil to make thicker or vinegar to thin.

This will make one honey jar full and will keep for about two weeks. I put a sticker on the bottom of the jar with the date I made it.

I usually make double this recipe as it seems to disappear :wink:

Edited by Guest

Has anyone made Mayo using eggs from their chickens that have not been vacinated?

I would really like to give this a go but am a bit scared :roll::lol: I always make sure the eggs are well cooked.

Yes! Me! - and I'm still here :lol: I never think about it.

I use one yolk to ¼pint sunflower oil - using a hand blender and drizzling in the smallest amount of oil at a time. At the end add up to ½ tablespoon of vinegar - this can be totally replaced by lemon juice for a lemony mayonnaise. Also at the end for a really creamy texture, after the acid (vinegar or lemon) you can add in up to ½ tablespoon of boiling water.

and chefs would tell you never keep it in the fridge - it should be room temperature - but on that basis you need to use it quickly.

Tracy