i can see you rolling your eyes already :lol:

basiclly i need to make an order with omlet anyway- and i was looking at the 25m chicken netting... but in order to persuade my hubby (as it seems quite expensive) im hoping the picture really doesnt do it justice and im wondering if anyone has any pictures of the netting in a set up so that i can see???

thankyou

Hi,

I've used my netting to create an external run outside the my cube an it's run. I would strongly recommend buying the netting. The colour blends well and there is so much of it. I even had an additional 10ft to use to section off my vegetable patch for when I allow the girls to free range in the rest of the garden. It's easy to assemble, you can peg it down with cheap pegs you can buy from any garden centre too.

Good luck convincing your OH.

Christine. :lol:

Externalrun.jpg

Externalrun2-1.jpg

I love the netting, but agree that the cleverest hens can get out. I cannot imagine a hen getting through one of the holes, however, as they are so small. Mine go under and over.

It is best used as a confining pen when you are out working in the garden, so you can soon deal with any escapees.

Tip: if the hens crouch for you when you first let them out, play hard to get. A crouch is an invaluable aid later on to catching them and tossing them back into the run. Mine tend only to submit to me once a day.

I find the netting very useful, in fact I wouldn't be without it.

My little Nugget does escape occasionally.

A couple of the others used to fly over it from the top of the Eglu, but my set up had changed and they can't do it from the ground.....they are too fat.

:lol:

I use the netting and think it's superb.

It's more of a permanent fixture though, I don't move it around. I pulled mine really tight and used a few lengths of approx 1.5x1" wood to strengthen it in places, particularly at any corners. I also used some bamboo canes which I sprayed black in between some of the poles so I had more uprights. Mine have not escaped from their enclosure since I put the netting up.

Diane

I've never really thought about this netting, I just let mine go wherever they want in the garden, nothing is too precious that is wont grow back or I can replace it has been my thought, however you all seem to have netting, so maybe you all know something I dont... :think:

I've never really thought about this netting, I just let mine go wherever they want in the garden, nothing is too precious that is wont grow back or I can replace it has been my thought, however you all seem to have netting, so maybe you all know something I dont... :think:

I use my netting as a run really as I think the eglu run even with a converter is really far too small for my 3 black rocks and I let them out of it from first thing in the morning till bedtime so really we need it and I let them out of that at nearly bed time so they can free range before bed time and they love that

Mine have complete freedom throughout the whole garden. Yes, they sometimes eat things i don't want them too but i'm not a fussy gardener. We mostly haver shrubs in the back garden anyway and they were well established before the chooks came along. Anything edible is grown in the front garden, well away from the chooks.

i should have been a bit more specific, the plan isnt specificlly to restrict them, although i want to guard off my new vegge patch- its specificlly for if we want them to clear a certain part of the garden one day (like the front garden :lol: ) they wouldnt be unsupervised so thats why i was looking at it- as its portable but rolls up.

the people that brought it- what size did you get?

We bought 50 metres and I think it works well. We let them out for the fiirst time on Friday (after a week) and it was fine. Even in the torrential bank holiday rain they loved wandering around. The Omlet netting is flexible, relatively easy to put up (first time of course borders on divorce material but once you have the hang of it it is fine). We are fortunate to have a reasonable amount of space but are very garden pruud and have veggies so it allows separation at this time of the year when needed. From the point of view of looks it is is excellent - very u"Ooops, word censored!"trusive - and having researched it quite thoroughly I don't think it is particularly expensive given the quality.