tigerblade100

Hen died quickly

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone might have any answers for me.

I'm Paul, I got 3 hens 1 pepper and 2 gingers from omlet on 25th April.

All has been just fine until tonight.

I got home at 6pm, girls greeted me as usual and running about the garden, they were scratching around the compost bin and helping me dig the border as usual.

I sat down about 7pm and the smallest ginger (Maggie) came and sat on the patio, gaping.

she would not eat or drink anything, i put her on my lap, she started breathing slower and slower, her head got heavier and at 8.30 she was gone.

I have no idea what's happened. I have been reading about fungus spores as a possible cause, but really cause death in less than 2 hours? She was so fit and healthy.

I am really distressed and upset, not knowing what has happened and worried for the other two.

has anybody got any ideas what it could have been?

thank you

Paul

Sorry to hear about that

Sounds like it may have been a heart problem, Paul, but it's hard to tell without a further description of the symptoms. I'm afraid that chooks have a lighter hold on life than most critters. Best call Omlet - they'd like to know, and will be able to send you out a new hen if you like.

Edited by Guest

What a shame :(

At least she had a lovely time with you in your garden.

Did her comb go blue / purplish? That suggests a heart problem often.

As Claret has said some just have a lighter hold on life.

How are your other girls?

Keep an eye on them - make sure they are eating and drinking.

thanks for all your kind messages.

To be honest that's all the symptoms were. Loss of energy. Just lifeless and sleepy. Her eyes were mostly shut but when she did open her eyes her pupils were wide open. Mouth gaping and finding it hard to breathe. Was eating and drinking happily only an hour before.

Comb had not got fully red was still a light pink but that did not change colour.

I will give omlet a call and see what they think.

I didn't realise I would get attatched to them so quickly and it would be this traumatic!

Paul

well, I did phone omlet this afternoon, but i wish i hadn't bothered, the lady I spoke to did not sound experienced to me and was not either sympathetic or helpful.

About all she said to me was these things happen and it could of been anything and if I want to know what it was I should take her to the vet for a post mortem.

I know I'm asking a bit much to know what it was exactly, but thanks to you all at least I now feel that it was most likely her heart rather than something I could of prevented happening.

She was a wonderful girl, every night until she started laying she would come and find me and 'squeak' at me until I would kneel down so she could jump on my shoulder for 10 minutes just before she went to bed.

She was a very special girl and I will miss her.