Sara@Brentford

Moving House - New Garden!

Space to roam whilst protecting the garden?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Space to roam whilst protecting the garden?

• Hope that the cube & extension will be enough for them
    • Build a sturdy enclosure
    • Try and create some retractable fencing that can pull across a corner of the garden

Hi,

We are soon to move to a new house with a much bigger garden and are keen to give the girls their own space (keep off ours!), upgrade to a cube and get a couple of ex-batts. However, yesterday, my neighbour-to-be advised me of the fox nest with cubs behind the garden fence (apparently, they come and sit on her lawn).

I'm getting worried and see that I have the following options:

1) Hope that the cube & extension will be enough for them (I doubt it after free-range?)

2) Build a sturdy enclosure (I can't see how this will blend into a beautifully landscaped garden?)

3) Try and create some retractable fencing that can pull across a corner of the garden whilst they are out and rolls back when they are in the run....

Any advice out there?

Thanks! :?

If you have a fox living behind the fence, you need to be extra vigilant about security, especially if it has cubs. You will be handing them a meal on a plate if you let the chickens roam. You could always take the appropriate measures to move the fox on.

You CAN make it blend in - I don't have personal experience of this, I hasten to add, but there are plenty of ways! Every garden, even a beautifully landscaped one, has 'utility' areas. Screen with bushes or willow fencing, or just think 'pergola' and build a run to fit in with the landscaping -you won't see the weldmesh from a distance, and if you use really nice timbers it will look as if it's meant to be part of the garden. Plant things around it, grow a grape-vine or a clematis over it - it can be done.

I don't know if Dilly has any pics of her run on here, but the first time I saw hers I thought it was a pergola.

Don't take any chances with the fox. If there's a nest with cubs, she will be extra hungry.