Lewis

Turkeys - Warning!-contains upsetting photo!!

As some of you know I went lambing at easter at a farm in hints.

I was panning to go back to see their turkey poults arrive, but when I phoned up, the turkeys had arrived that morning. They asked could I go and help debeak them :? , but I was unavailable, but yesterday I went to see the poults and here are the pics! I want one!! :D

2649691736_cc7aa4d70e_m.jpg2648867181_17cb4235fa_m.jpg

There are 600+ in 2 big brooders. There are 4 breeds: Super Mini, Roly Poly, Wrolstad, Plumpie in White and Bronze, both males and females, so that there will be 8 different weights to choose from at Christmas.

2648852955_ec5c71e599_m.jpg2648831159_506c282d6d_m.jpg

They are raised as free range turkeys, and are intended for the public and individuals, to be eaten at Christmas.

2649682656_ed7557b068_m.jpg2649676294_a9c6674c65_m.jpg

So if anyone wants a free range turkey for christmas day, tell me! :D

Such a shame they've been de-beaked :( The ones we bought last year hadn't been, and they also started off in large sheds.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time there yesterday. We're not sure whether we're having any turkeys this year :think:

The terms Roly Poly, Plumpie etc. we were told applied to their eventual size (as you've said)............to be honest, the supplier was talking a completely different language to us :lol:

Sorry if it upset you. :(

I was a bit cautious about going to debeak them, and then I was at a show anyway so couldn't go to help out. There are 600+ and it would be unpractical to have beaker bits (and I'm not sure if they do smaller sizes?)

John the farmer said its cruel, to be kind, because a lot of them have started vent pecking already.

I know that a lot of people don't like debeaking (understatement I know) but the turkeys are able to live a full happy life, and have no problems eating, and at least they are free range.

It amazed me that all the eggs were incubated, they have never seen their mothers, but they can all survive and live happy lives, just on natural instincts.

I'm sorry and I really don't want to start an argument but debeaking is done purely so stocking can be done at a higher density without enrichments. This kind of practise is not what people who buy Free Range expect, and if they knew a lot less would buy!

Those debeak will justify it any way they can but it is simple economics above welfare.

Rant over.

I agree Rhapsody. I buy a turkey from the same supplier every Christmas because they're free-range and I assumed that meant high-welfare. I had no idea debeaking still went on with free-range systems - I assumed that just happened to battery hens. This has certainly made me think twice about Christmas :(

Is there really any need for de beaking? Wouldn't bumper bits be better?

Emma.x

I'd be happy to pa the extra 10p for my family's Christmas turkey to have a bumper bit instead of being debeaked.

In fact...I'd pay a darn sight more than that.

Thanks for opening our eyes Iwescott.

This could be just what happens on this farm, don't think it happens to all turkeys just because it happens here. I know that its not natural etc. but the farmers don't do it to be cruel.

They have already lost 20ish chicks, but these may not all be related to the vent pecking, but they had to do something.

The turkeys seem perfectly happy to me :?

I know its too late, but can you actually but bumper bits which fit poults, and then turkeys?

They have already lost 20ish chicks, but these may not all be related to the vent pecking, but they had to do something.

Yup -they could have stocked them at a lower density and given them some variety in their lives and diet.

I must thank you for opening my eyes to this practise in free range farming, I will be asking more questions in future.

As well as the info and debate this has raised, it was interesting to see your photos.

It must have been great experience for you, and it sounds like very successful placement.

Has it made you want to learn more and maybe work in that area?

It must have been great experience for you, and it sounds like very successful placement.

Has it made you want to learn more and maybe work in that area?

Lambing was really good and I learned loads. It has made me want to go calving now, but I don't think mom would let me have a cow :lol:

I want to be a vet, so yes it has made me want to learn more and work in that area.

I may be going shearing with them aswell :D

I don't think the turkeys are cram packed, they have enough room, my opinion.