sparkysmum

Ideas for taming the girls please

Hi folks. We're into week 3 and all's going well :) Happy girls and lots of eggs. The kids love them as do all the neighbours children and I was wondering if anyone had any taming suggestions as this might stop the children and hens running around the garden :!: We've tried offering tasty treats but clearly not tasty enough. Is there anything they just can't refuse :?: Love to hear from you. PS both girls are ex batts - if that makes any difference. Thanks Allison & Co

Mine won't touch mealworms! it's so wierd how they go on, isn't it?? All of mine would do anything for a peice of grape, though.

If you possibly can, stop the kids from chasing them around - this will reinforce how scary human beings are, and make taming them a whole lot more difficult.

ooh we get dorset cereals here as well, very expensive, We have to double check the dates, because they don't sell very much at that price and so it is nearly always going out of date.

I was going to ask for it cheap, but my OH said he would be too embarrassed for me to go to reception and ask for a reduction because it was going out of date at the end of the month !

I know it would be perfectly ok to eat, I would be happy to pay a couple of euros for it, but not full price with a week to go.

Yes I know it gets eaten within a week :lol:

Sorry, yes, get to the point. Try to get the children to stop running after the chooks and give them the treats to give to the chickens. Sweetcorn is a winner because it's bright coloured and easy for the chickens to spot if they are not used to it.

This is a bit of a problem with us too. Sneaky pickups at night make the girls yell as if they are going to be eaten! Semi comatose - not these, they are blooming owls! We have been beaten/flapped to death and both myself and DD have been pecked and scratched through our T-shirts. But perseverence and patience must be seen to be done (although over 2 weeks since they arrived and it is hard not to be impatient).

Yesterday I gave them some live mealworms - hmmm, tasty. So today I gave them some more - trying not to get knocked over in the rush! Tried them with the dried ones and they are so keen on filling their beaks that they didn't notice us stroking them - until they finished and then let out horrendous squawks and ran to a safe distance. Not for long, they were back for more!

They know when we open the door, but I know they mustn't expect treats every time. I was digging up some onions for dinner last night and when I looked up, Sioux was up on the garden seat not too far from me. A bit of a surprise when they complain that the cube steps are too high and they need an extra ramp - and here is madam on the seat no problem at all!

Anyone know where to get a bulk order of dried worms? Our local garden centre has small tubs at £8 a pop!

Thanks ANH for the tip.

Our girls like grapes too - but they run off with them, although each have their own, they guard their prrrrecioussss from the other girls, especially when one wolfs hers down quicker than the other two and then tries to nab theirs (that would be Piggy Sioux again). :roll:

Success today, first armed with the mealworms, zipped over to the chair before the clucking stampede. This time I stroked their breasts and necks while they were busy looking for the worms in my hand. Then I tried their backs - stroke first, then treat. This afternoon I did the same with sultanas. I put a handful on my lap - got lots of strokes and then Piggy Sioux sussed out that if she grabbed my skirt and pulled, then she could pull the sultanas onto the ground. The result was all 3 in a treat frenzy over my feet! :shock:

I still got a few strokes in though! :D

Given time your girls will get used to the children and start to ignore them.. Not sure the same can be said for the children getting used to the chickens

Our toddler is very boisterous and has the attention span of a goldfish so has to constantly reminded not to chase the girls and to be gentle but after a few weeks they just started to ignore him.

They wander about scratching the lawn and tolerate him holding their bodies without any fuss at all. They follow him about if he has food that they fancy and neatly sidestep out of the way if he takes a run at them. He loves them to bits, has his own way of calling them and feeds them a cup of corn each day. Give it time.. soon they'll be follow you around and come running if they spot you.

Hi folks, thanks for all your encouraging replies. Koojie - we've also had a high score day. The girls follow Hazel around now clearly hoping for treats and she's only tooooooooooooooo delighted to supply them :) We've managed a few strokes when they're engrossed in their food so it's looking good. Best wishes Allison & Co :D