KTee

Soft, green, fizzy droppings

One of our gingernuts has been off colour for several days. Just sitting most of the time but she still feeds although less than usual.

Her comb is now becoming very pale and she has just produced a very odd soft, green fizzy dropping and she is very messy around the vent .

This same gingernut had a similar short spell of being off colour a few weeks ago. Whilst she seemed to recover she has laid a number of soft or shelless eggs and the ones with a shell resembled crumpled brown paper.

A friend who has kept hens for a number of years thinks that the syptoms sound like Egg Drop Syndrome. Can anyone advise please if there is an injection for this after it has developed? The only info I found suggested that usually it clears up after 48hrs but egg production will be down. This has now gone on for longer than 48hrs.

Edited by Guest

Have you tried worming and delousing them? Often useful to do those two first as worms and lice can make them very poorly. Also worth trying her with some live yoghurt each day, or something called Avipro as the green poos indicate she may have gastric problems. Worth trying all these first and see how she responds.

**Egg Drop Syndrome**.

Sounds as if your friend might be right.

It could explain the problems that many Omleteers have had recently.

It appears that there is no cure.

The following makes me wonder if Artemis Fowl has got it as her eggs fit this description exactly.

Thinning at the pole of the egg is another. This is when the egg appears normal except for an appearance of thinning or translucence at the large end of the egg. When pressure is applied, the shell will break at this point first. Eggs that are thin-shelled and fragile overall is also a sign. Sometimes these eggs will feel like sandpaper to the touch. The most noticeable signs though are in the soft-shelled, or shell-less eggs. Sometimes these are hard to detect because the hens typically eat these before you see them. Look for the shriveled membranes in their litter – they’ll leave those. Otherwise, check early in the morning before the hens have a chance to eat the shell-less eggs.

Have you tried worming and delousing them? Often useful to do those two first as worms and lice can make them very poorly. Also worth trying her with some live yoghurt each day, or something called Avipro as the green poos indicate she may have gastric problems. Worth trying all these first and see how she responds.

Thanks. They are wormed each month - Vermex, although they don't particularly like the taste of the water.

I haven't seen any lice but I will try the yoghurt and Avipro..

Verm-x is more of a preventative than a treatment for actual infestations - they could still have worms :?

Just thought I would mention that.

Oh, that is interesting to know.

Thanks. I was under the mistaken impression that it treated them too. I have been giving it to them regularly for 12months+ but I will look for something to eradicate them assuming that they have them.

The gingernut is looking rather better today, fingers crossed.

I can't find anything actually amiss physically.

We don't appear to have any vets around here who know about chickens. If they had four legs and were furry it might be a different scenario. Although I could try heading south into deepest Cheshire there might be someone in one of the country practices who could assist.

We don't appear to have any vets around here who know about chickens. If they had four legs and were furry it might be a different scenario. Although I could try heading south into deepest Cheshire there might be someone in one of the country practices who could assist.

Not sure where you are in Cheshire - would any of these help (took them from the Omlet Forum recommended Vets posting):

Michael D Stanford BVsc, MRCVS

C E Stanford BVSc, MRCVS

R M Hyde BVSc, MRCVS

Birch Heath Road,

Tarporley,

Cheshire CW6 9UU

Tel: 01829 733777 Fax: 01829 733923

email: stanvet@dial.pipex.com

also: 2/4 Ribble Place,

Winsford,

Cheshire CW7 3NA

Tel: 01606 556622 Fax: 01606 557722

Willows Veterinary Hospital, 24 hour emergency care.

267 Chester road,

Hartford,

Northwich,

Cheshire CW8 1LP.

Tel;- 01606 723202.

Nantwich Veterinary Hospital,

Crewe Road End,

Nantwich,

CW5 5SF.

tel;- 01270 610322

Hope one of these is of some help :?

Not sure where you are in Cheshire - would any of these help (took them from the Omlet Forum recommended Vets posting):

Michael D Stanford BVsc, MRCVS

C E Stanford BVSc, MRCVS

R M Hyde BVSc, MRCVS

Birch Heath Road,

Tarporley,

Cheshire CW6 9UU

Tel: 01829 733777 Fax: 01829 733923

email: stanvet@dial.pipex.com

also: 2/4 Ribble Place,

Winsford,

Cheshire CW7 3NA

Tel: 01606 556622 Fax: 01606 557722

Willows Veterinary Hospital, 24 hour emergency care.

267 Chester road,

Hartford,

Northwich,

Cheshire CW8 1LP.

Tel;- 01606 723202.

Nantwich Veterinary Hospital,

Crewe Road End,

Nantwich,

CW5 5SF.

tel;- 01270 610322

Hope one of these is of some help :?

Thanks. I haven't looked at the Omlet lists for some time.

We are immediately to the S of Manchester.

The nearest is around 20miles away. If she is no better tomorrow then I might give them a try. Annoying thing is that the RHS Show is on at Tatton Park until Sunday and the traffic is MINDLESS. There is no way around it either!

I did have some subsequent posts about this particular chicken but I can't trace them.

In one response someone identified the likely problem to be Egg Drop Syndrome.

The chicken - a gingernut ranger made a partial recovery and promptly moulted.

She seemed to get better although as anticipated there were no eggs.

We gave her all the additives/vitamin/calcium supplements I could find and tried to build her up with extra corn but to no avail.

This morning she was running around more or less as normal but later I saw her sitting motionless and with eyes closed.

This evening when I went to close them up I found her dead in the same position. :cry:

We will miss her, she was the top of the pecking order and a real bossy boots but friendly with us and easy to handle. :cry::cry:

Edited by Guest

This morning when I opened the Eglu the rest were strangely reluctant to come out even though it was daylight but they seem OK now.

I am told that Egg Drop Syndrome is more common than is generally recognised and may often be mistaken for other illnesses. It does not appear to have a cure. :o

KTee there is a vet who is an avian vet too in Chorlton which is nearer than the south Cheshire ones. He was lovely when I took my chicken in...if you google him I think you can get his number - his name is Aidan Rafferty. If you can't find him I will have a look and see if I still have his number.