Jules.

Buzz has got lice

:(

I discovered them this morning whilst demonstrating to my hen party guests how to check for lice :oops: They were very nice about it, & said that they now know what to look for :lol:

I'm going to dust all my girls with red mite powder, as I read to do this in the sticky on lice- anybody any idea as to how many times I need to do this, considering that I am away for a week from Saturday? If they need treatment next week I'll have to rope hubby in to help, as he's at home all week. .

Can I add a newbie owner question to this thread please. When examining for lice where exactly do you look and what might you see. My PP always has slightly mucky knickers. I read that this may be a sign for lice so while I had them out free ranging I just had a good look at her vent, not easy to do for the first time, it looks very clean and I couldn't see anything that looked untoward to me. Could it be that my chook just will always have slightly mucky knickers?

Some chooks do always have mucky knickers - two of mine often have Botty Baths.

You need to check where the feathers go into the skin, at the back of the neck, under the wings and around the vent. You will soon see them scurrying around at the base of the feathers like light coloured headlice.

The Johnson's spray mentioned above will treat the lice, the Ivomec Eprinex (not licenced for use on poultry in the UK) is also a preventative, much like the drops that you use on your cats and dogs. Treatment with the recommended amount 2-3 times a year will keep any type of louse at bay.

If you check the FAQ section of the forum, there's wealth of advice there.

Does Diatom work? I have just found lice on mine - nowhere near their vent - just parted the feathers under their wings and they were crawling around - like little grains of rice. Anyway I have just dusted them all (and me) in diatom as that was all I had. Will that be enough or should I get something else as well?

They were very good - had to lay them on their back virtually on my lap to do it - apart from Mary who I can never pick up. I cornered her in the omlet netting and she just stood there and let me do it!

I can't remember who it is but one forum member swears by dettol (the brown one) diluted in water. Spray it in the coop or roosting bars. If you have a wooden coop, spray it in all cracks and corners, and put washing up liquid on the corners of the roosting bars at night. Worked for me :lol:

I'm not sure (Louise will correct me) but I think that Dettol is toxic to animals, including poultry. I can't remember the term, but if it turns the water cloudy, then don't use it anywheer near critters.

Poultry Shield is a great disinfectant and lice killer. Smells nice too.

Clare, lots of people are using it on the P.P. Forum and having great success with it for red mite and general cleaning as long as it's well diluted (80 water/20 dettol) and obviously everywhere is dry before the chickens are put back. I'm sure some said they have been doing it for years with no ill effects.

Every hen got a good dusting with Diatom & Red Mite Powder last night- & so did

I- hubby squirted the hens while I held them one at a time. I even had them on an old towel, & I still got covered in it.

i think that he's learned his lesson from when we put the bumper bits on them- the person who is left holding the hen always comes off worse :lol:

We'll do them again tomorrow night, & then it will be another week before we can do them again, as I'm away.

If you have cats in the household DO NOT USE DETTOL :evil:

Basically it kills them :evil:

Anything containing Phenol (the ones that turn the water white) are poisonous to cats they absorb it through their skin and it doesn't take much to kill them :roll:

I wouldn't use it on chickens either personally :cry: