Ain't Nobody Here

Gold medals!

Now I will PM you with some ideas, I've got more creative as I've got older. :lol::lol: Sure there was something on Blue Peter :?:lol:

Mikey was laughing last night as I suggested how my life might have been now if I'd have taken up the shot, wonder if he'd have married me :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Buffie x

I saw some synchronised swimming yesterday - what is all that about?

It involves swimmers having to do stuff in time with each other..... :wink::lol:

do you reckon they have their breakfast together, lifting their spoons in time. And go to the loo ... sorry no, thats a terrible thought and bound to be moderated so I'll apologise to those who are offended now.

:lol::lol::lol: Absolutely! It helps "keep them in the zone" you know! :lol::lol:

:lol:

18 now! Just watched the Kayak 1000 metres. Amazing! Well done Tim Brabant. We are third on the medal table! Also got the silver guaranteed in boxing, possibly the gold. Wonderful! 8) ..............................

Makes me want to take up a sport............

:liar::liar:

18 now! Just watched the Kayak 1000 metres. Amazing! Well done Tim Brabant. We are third on the medal table! Also got the silver guaranteed in boxing, possibly the gold. Wonderful! 8) ..............................

Yet another watersport medal - I'm sorry to rub it in but this is getting seriously embarrassing for track and field. If only they knew how to do a baton change ... now then, don't we have a coach on the forum who might be able to help them? :)

And Tim Brabant had to fit his preparation around his medical training; so no protected time courtesy of lottery funding there ...

shame about the BMX. If they hadn't had to drop track cycling events to put it in, we could have had another Chris Hoy medal and another one from Victoria Pendleton. I don't understand how they work it. They want long distance swimming (and I'm pleased that they did) but they didn't drop events to make room - they just put it in. But for BMX they drop a couple of track cycling events allegedly to 'make space'.

Maybe for 2012 we can drop the events where Brits don't get medals - and keep in the ones where we do well?

I'm sorry to rub it in but this is getting seriously embarrassing for track and field. If only they knew how to do a baton change ... now then, don't we have a coach on the forum who might be able to help them? :)

:D My Harriers U13's could baton change better then the americans and brits did yesterday. I couldn't believe what i was seeing - it was shocking. i know accidents happened but honestly - errors like that shouldn't be made at this level.

Shame about Phillips Idowu - losing out on gold by 5cm - that sucks :(

How did the BMX girl do? Now thats what i call interesting cycling!

[How did the BMX girl do? Now thats what i call interesting cycling!

'fraid she crashed out on the final bend trying to overtake the eventual winner. Its a pretty rough event and really rather a lottery to be honest. I'd rather see Mountain Biking than BMX but there you go.

Nowdays however my sport is limited to cycling to the golf course and ambling round 18 holes, and sailing a Norfolk Oyster dayboat out in the bay. Its a hard life!

Me too :liar::liar::lol::lol:

Forget BMX biking, I reckon they could introduce pram pushing as an Olympic sport. :idea: I'd have to brush up on my steering but reckon I'd be in with a chance. Actually, perhaps not. I'm not aggressive enough and tend to let other prams pass by first. It's a dangerous world out there on the high street / playgroup circuit!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Not enjoying the beach volleyball. Least favourite event to watch...just can't get excited by it. :| Oh, that and hockey. Too many bad memories from PE at school :evil:

Me too :liar::liar::lol::lol:

Forget BMX biking, I reckon they could introduce pram pushing as an Olympic sport. :idea: I'd have to brush up on my steering but reckon I'd be in with a chance. Actually, perhaps not. I'm not aggressive enough and tend to let other prams pass by first. It's a dangerous world out there on the high street / playgroup circuit!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Not enjoying the beach volleyball. Least favourite event to watch...just can't get excited by it. :| Oh, that and hockey. Too many bad memories from PE at school :evil:

Yeah Looney, pram pushing would be great. What you lack in aggression you could make up for in accessories. Boudica wheels maybe?? :lol:

Yeah Looney, pram pushing would be great. What you lack in aggression you could make up for in accessories. Boudica wheels maybe?? :lol:

OOh, there's an idea! And go faster stripes too :lol::lol::roll::lol:

I've picked up some more figures from the net. Not trying to score any points and have posted them for interest. It makes a good debate as to what should happen as regards funding and where it should go - good facilities for all or targeted towards golds at the Olympics. My opinion is that we need both - golds to enthuse the youngsters about sports and then good facilities for all (not just elite athletes) so that we can all take part.

However what the figures show, in my view, is that the coaching systems in all sports can learn from Cycling and Sailing in terms of developing elite athletes and successful teams - and the attitudes of the athletes from the different sports when they were interviewed were in very stark contrast in some cases.

Oh and we need to spend some money teaching people how to hand over batons in a relay - what a *naughty word considered but not used* shambles.

Cycling - total funding 17.49 (£m)

Sailing - 17.19

Swimming 16.7

rowing 20.05

Canoeing 10.79

Boxing 4.66

Athletics 20.38

Gymnastics 7.25

For GB, cost per medal/cost per gold

Cycling 1.25 (£m) /2.19

Sailing 2.86 /4.30

Swimming 2.78 /8.35